For Recent Onset, Dr. Recommends...

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by calin, Mar 12, 2013.

1. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Question: Can anything be can be done for tinnitus?

Dr. Blaylock's Answer:

It depends on how long you have had the tinnitus. If you have had it for years, the chance for a cure is unlikely.

If it is of recent onset, some people have gotten better using magnesium, Ginkgo biloba, curcumin, and resveratrol. Magnesium, curcumin, and resveratrol all reduce inflammation and excitotoxicity in the VIII cranial nerve, and this reduces the ringing sound. DHA will help repair the nerve and reduce inflammation.

Stimulants, such as excitotoxin food additives (MSG) and caffeine, can worsen the problem.

2. aurelientt

aurelientt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      My T is a month old as of yesterday so I am going to give the Resveratrol and DHA a try.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Hey, it's worth a try! ;)

Are you already adding magnesium (or magnesium oil) and gingko and curcumin to your supplements? I take all of the above except I stopped gingko after taking it for some time and I haven't done DHA per se. I use omega 3s though.

4. aurelientt

aurelientt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      I have not tried magnesium and have not taken gingko for worry of it interacting with the antidepressant that I am taking.

5. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yes be careful using supplements and prescription meds. Drugs.com has an "interactions checker" that will look at possible reactions between supplements and meds you might be taking

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Good to remember that! Many of us here have gotten into that habit! (y)

7. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Thanks for the reminder , Erik! I've used the Drugs.com interactions checker a lot myself over the last couple of years. I've never taken this many supplements before, and I have to be careful that they don't interact with Synthroid.

I'm going to check out Resveratrol, to see if there might be any problems.

8. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      I have started taking magnesium few days ago, i have been on ginko biloba for 2 months can't say it helped

9. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eric, That's what a lot of people say about the gingko biloba. Many of us have tried it, but I'm not sure it helps most of us. It didn't help me.

The magnesium is very calming , and will help you to relax. I don't know if it will help with your tinnitus. I take it just before bedtime, as a natural sleep aid. Hope it helps you. Let us know if it does help your T.

10. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      The magnesium is very calming , and will help you to relax. I don't know if it will help with your tinnitus. I take it just before bedtime, as a natural sleep aid. Hope it helps you. Let us know if it does help your T.[/quote]

I never knew magnesium could help you relax did you feel this effect right away or after sometime of taking it?

11. sworthi245
      Balanced

sworthi245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/02/12
      Hey Eric,

I am relatively new to T. I took small doses of Magnesium prior to T, and have increased by dosage since getting T. I take about 800 - 1,000 mg each day. I take a high absorption, chelated brand that I buy off the internet. I take 100 mg every three hours for fear of upsetting my stomach with one massive dose. I also take a big teaspoon of Maalox about an hour before bed. It contains magnesium oxide in addition to other ingredients. I have been very fortunate compared to many others in that I am able to sleep well about 95% of the time.

So, I do believe it has helped me. I started it about 20 days into my T. So, maybe the earlier you start, the more benefit you receive. In the book "The Magnesium Factor", has a recommendation for how much magnesium to take and a frequency in which to take it. See the link below for more information the authors.

http://books.google.com/books?id=BuW6xwqlQfkC&pg=PA235&lpg=PA235&dq=taken enough magnesium until loose stools back off&source=bl&ots=v9wrMHvxhp&sig=Xg6M24nWNkGY-b6TY7Cxl2R6_K4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=XttBUemKNLS24AOsyIDYAw&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=taken enough magnesium until loose stools back off&f=false

When you click on the link, scroll down a little to see the text about dosing. Hang in there! Hope it helps with your T.

12. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eric,
      To answer your question about the effect of magnesium. Yes, you'll notice the calming effect right away, but if you continue taking it, it seems to build up in one's system and promote a better overall feeling of calm. And the side benefit is that it may help your tinnitus. A win-win!

For me, it also helped with things like anxiety and restless legs, which accompanied my tinnitus and overall bad feelings. I hope it helps you, too.

13. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I wonder if this form of magnesium might be the best...

Life Extension, Neuro-Mag, Magnesium L-Threonate, 90 Veggie Caps

Something about Magnesium L-Threonate:
      Most magnesium supplements are not readily absorbed into the nervous system. To overcome this obstacle, an innovative form of magnesium is being introduced called Neuro-Mag, shown to specifically target the aging brain and nervous system. In preclinical models, L-threonate contained in Neuro-Mag boosted magnesium levels in spinal fluid by an impressive 15% compared to no increase with conventional magnesium. Even more compelling, animal models revealed improvements of 18% for short-term memory and 100% for long-term memory using the Neuro-Mag form of magnesium.
      The suggested daily dose of three Neuro-Mag Magnesium L-Threonate Capsules provides 2,000 mg of magnesium-L-threonate. While this supplies a modest 144 mg of elemental magnesium, its superior absorption into the bloodstream and nervous system make it a preferred choice for aging humans to supplement with.

ScienceDaily article: Magnesium supplement helps boost brainpower