From Tinnitus to Silence Talk 18th July 2019 Holborn, London, United Kingdom

Discussion in 'Support' started by J Cowan Hill, Jun 27, 2019.

1. J Cowan Hill
      Fine

J Cowan Hill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1982-2001
      Come and hear Julian Cowan Hill and a handful of other speakers talk about how they got from bad tinnitus to silence. Each speaker will talk about what helped and hindered them on their road to recovery. There will be plenty of time for questions and answers at the end, and a chance to mingle and chat in person to the speakers. Hopefully, this event will inspire those struggling with this condition to get on the path to recovery and help health practitioners offer more useful advice to those with this condition rather than causing unnecessary distress.

Details of the event can be found on Eventbrite here:
      https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/tinnitus-to-silence-tickets-62560574362

Come join us for some light refreshments, and inspiration. We look forward to meeting you.

Best wishes

Julian Cowan Hill

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      With all due respect, if you truly are Julian Cowan Hill, you have called tinnitus a "temporary condition" and seem convinced that everyone can reduce their tinnitus to a mild level, if not heal themselves completely of it. I very much disagree with that.

While support and encouragement are important, at the end of the day, millions of people worldwide are severely impacted by their tinnitus and what these people need are medical treatments to reduce their suffering.

Implying that we don't need medical treatments because we already have all the treatments we need ignores the reality of what tinnitus can truly be like. The "path of recovery" is, unfortunately, dependent on medical research for many and we should try to raise more awareness for how debilitating tinnitus can be and that we have a dire need fore medical treatments and ideally a cure.

I'm very grateful to the people from Neuromod for launching the very first medical treatment for chronic tinnitus this year, hopefully many more will follow and show the world that it is possible to treat tinnitus medically.

• Agree Agree x 10
      • Genius Genius x 1
    3. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Mathieulh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic headphones use and acute noise induced trauma.
      Unfortunately, for most people, tinnitus is noise induced and comes from neuropathy within the cochlear, considering this part does not spontaneously regenerate, either it is damaged and fixes itself over time, either it is dead and does not, and therefore cannot be qualified as "temporary". This is why a majority of chronic tinnitus sufferers are stuck with it for life.

Only effective treatment, either cochlear cell regeneration, targeting the brain chemistry or performing auditory cortex stimulation can alleviate or cure the symptoms of those sufferers, while CBT allows some type of palliative care and long term management (to some extent) of the condition, and leads to habituation for a "lucky" majority (albeit not all cases, not everyone can habituate), although CBT would help everyone to some extent, but CBT only exists because there are no suitable alternatives.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Tinnitus sufferers who can come to London,

Why don't we go there and use this opportunity also to meet each other?

5. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      If you have taken a video of the event, please upload it here so everybody can learn. Thank you Mr. Julian.

6. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I focused on verifying if I had tinnitus
      I'd be interested in that video if it exists. I can always take positivity and stories about healing.

7. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      As Autumnly indicated, if you really are Julian Cowan Hill, please respond to the points I made in my 04/30/19 and 03/15/19 entries regarding your comments (especially the one about magically transforming the molecular structure of various substances).

• Like Like x 1
    8. Harley

Harley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'm pretty sure that your intentions are good, but the road to hell is usually paved with those.
      Unfortunatelly it is the well intentioned people within the Tinnitus community such as yourself, who make it next to impossible for the severe sufferers to be taken seriously.

This is also part of the reason, why the real treatment research is so behind and underfunded in favour of various self deception and intelligence insulting schemes instead.

I mean can you immagine going to the dentist with agonizing tooth pain and have him tell you that "it is actually not the pain that is the problem, but rather your reaction to it"?

That dentist would most likely be out of a job very fast, but for some reason it is ok to use this backward nonsense on Tinnitus sufferers with impunity.

Tinnitus sound is just as real as the tooth pain...something is actually physically wrong within the brain/auditory system and the affected person is really not just immagining this horroble sound inside his/her's head.

Tinnitus is not a temporary condition either and cannot be magically thought away via some "immagine there is a kitchen appliance inside your head" type of a scheme.

Anyone suggesting otherwise or implying such nonsense (directly or not) is part of the reason, why there is no urgency in the medical field to deal with this condition and why it is being treated as a joke or a minor inconvenience instead.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    9. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      you people demanding replies seem to think Mr Hill owes you an explanation; he doesn't owe you any of his time

if you find the information offered obnoxious, you don't need to consume it... some people find value of one kind or another in his ideas. If you think he's "very misinformed", you should hear my opinions on Catholicism... it's a big world, plenty of room for plenty of ideas.