"Full" Recovery from Tinnitus — Not an Actual Possibility?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dij111, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Dij111
      Paranoid

Dij111 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure(Fire Alarm, Headphone Usage)
      Hi,

I wanted to discuss something on my mind,

The act of tinnitus "fading", particularly with noise-induced T and any that are caused by actual damage to the inner ear.

We know that once damage is occurred, the brain keeps misfiring signals from hyperactive neurons to compensate for the lost frequencies.
      Now we don't know why it fades for some people, maybe it heals partially - hair cells themselves don't regenerate.

We have no data to conclude that tinnitus is 100% gone once it arrives - as in, no longer reacts to stressful situations, no "spikes" from exercise.
      Only info I got was from jjflyman who still had a very slight hiss when plugging his ears back when his T went away.

I believe that tinnitus sound can "fade" to the point of not being heard, but the brain still remains in that tinnitus mode of hyperactivity so the issue in itself is not actually resolved, the brain is still working incorrectly.

Any thoughts, maybe studies that can back this up or prove me wrong?

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Really? I didn't know that... Was that the case, @jjflyman ?
      I remember reading somewhere that those sounds are there even for the healthy people, and that tinnitus is the brain losing its ability to filter the noise out.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      I think Dij111 misunderstood my comment. The first time with T it faded 100% GONE. I did comment to him that with foam earplugs in, I did not hear total silence, because I don't think anyone hears "nothing". But the T and all it's ringing and hissing was totally gone.
      BTW Bill, my current T is close to 90% gone now, after 18 months. I remain hopeful for a complete recovery!

• Like Like x 4
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If it wasn't hissing, what did you hear?
      I am very glad that you continue to improve!

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      Well, kind of hard to explain. I simply meant to say that after 50 years of everyday life our ears aren't like new. The noise (maybe like slight static) in a quiet room with earplugs in is quite normal, and everyone would hear *something* in that situation. It wasn't bothersome, and I NEVER heard it in everyday life, it was there before my T and after my T, and IMO everybody would hear *something* in a quiet room with earplugs in.
      It was not caused by my T, and it wasn't left over from my T. My T healed 100%

• Like Like x 3
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Back then, would you say that you would not hear anything if you were to NOT wear earplugs in a quiet room?

7. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      Correct. After about 2 years I didn't hear any ringing, hissing or static without earplugs even in complete quiet room, it was like I never had T

• Like Like x 2
    8. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I don't have studies to show, but I have a story about ridding 98 percent of my T. And it's based in science.
      Good luck, Terry
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/

9. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

Your Tinnitus is very recent. At this point in time, the best thing you could do would be to stop thinking about all this stuff. I really wished someone told me that when I was in your shoes (but I probably wouldn't listen anyway...).

Best,
      Zug

• Like Like x 1
    10. Michellejean

Michellejean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus/ no clue
      @jjflyman can I ask you what induced your T the first time, and the second time?

Much love

11. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      That is one of the things researchers still have not understood about tinnitus.

12. Rohit Saluja
      Alienated

Rohit Saluja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced and sinus infection
      First time his tinnitus was caused by some loud machine, and second time by concert.

He is the only active person in the forum, whose tinnitus has completely gone away first time.

13. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Not me. Before T, I needed silence to concentrate or sleep. Any little sound annoyed me. I was hyperaware of any sound in an otherwise quiet environment. And I never heard even the faintest T sound.

14. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Same but with my mild T I was able to work and do things unlike now where I cant do anything.

• Hug Hug x 1