Game of Thrones!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jazz, Apr 4, 2014.

1. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      I hope we have Game of Thrones fans here! It starts this Sunday, April 6th, in the US. The previews have been on HBO for months, but I found this creative summary. For those who need to catch up, you gotta watch this "Emoji Recap." It's pretty sweet if you make it full screen: :p

• Like Like x 3
    2. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      Not sure if I am a huge fan of Game of Thrones. The TV series is a lot better than the books - I find that in the books there doesn't seem to be a definite storyline (I read the first two books and people have told me stuff about the rest). There is a lot of gore and torture in it for me which I am not keen on - but the trailer looks really good, so I kinda looking forward to watching it. Perhaps someone will finally stab Joffrey!

3. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      Read the books. I started during the second season to check something i was wondering while watching the show. The show follows rather closely the books. I am impatient to see the show. Before reading the book i was impatient to discover what was going to happen, after i am impatient to see how they staged key moments and what the public's reaction will be.

The actors are excellent.

4. Meestijn
      Balanced

Meestijn Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Oh yes, definitily a big fan of Game of Thrones!

The beginning of the series can be harsh as you are thrown into the depth with all the cross relations, alliances, political games etc...

Be aware that the series now really start to step away from the books (they already did on certain parts... but this time the series really start to take a different direction). Like the shocking ending of season 3. I will not say what (spoiler). In the books this is not as important as in the series especially since the rolls of the involved are made greater for the series to have a bigger impact towards the TV audience.... and it did!

One of the reasons is what CitiGirl13 mentioned, the books especially as of book 3 start to get chaotic (no coherency) and that is something the series wants to correct.

What I love about the series...
      1. it's unlike Hollywood... the border between good and bad is not always there, like in real life sometimes things are grey!
      2. The characters (actors).
      3. the explicity (sex, gore, and the torture but still stylish if you can describe such things stylish). To be sure: I DON'T like this in real life, with exception of the S word ;)).
      4. The lore.
      etc...

5. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      I agree that the actors are very good in this series. I also like that the writer has made women seem strong in the series, perhaps stronger than the men - I wouldn't mess with any of them!

I definitely think the series needs to take on a life of its own and not follow the books. While the books are good, it storyline seems to lose it's way a bit. The series needs to make more interesting and definitive storylines. It won't work if they continue to follow to books and people will lose interest.

6. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Is it true that you never see any real dragons or monsters and that there are tons of naked dudes constantly? lol

• Funny Funny x 1
    7. Catarina
      Old hag

Catarina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2006
      Huge fan of the books and very annoyed with the TV series. Even so, I will faithfully watch each episode, and then rant on about everything that's wrong with it. I have heard that true to form, in the new season the script writers have continued to set important scenes in brothels to satisfy the supposed need of nudity. Yawn! The series is still unmissable, for me mainly because of a very strong basic story and good acting in dramatic settings. So yeah, winter is coming.... and of course you see real dragons!

8. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Cassidy
      Wishful

Cassidy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress Overdrive
      Hahaha - I like the way they did the red wedding! That was quite the shocker </3

Game of Thrones is great - highly recommended to anyone who hasn't seen it yet!!

The King of the North!!

• Like Like x 1
    10. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      I'm so jealous the US gets this before is here in AUS - hubby and I are big fans, although I can't watch any parts with Joffrey in them - he is just too horrible

11. Luca
      Amused

Luca Member

I think the actors does well playing that guy, I only watch it to see Joffrey killed eventually :D

12. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      The series has done a brilliant job in making us hate Joffrey - he HAS to die soon otherwise I'll have to go on set and kill him myself.

13. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      WOW. This show makes my brain and my heart hurt.

14. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      The end of that episode where the guy pushes in his eyes was disturbing.

15. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I had forgotten we have a GoT thread here! I have read all the books, plus am an avid fan of the show. I know these may be fighting words, but have to say: As the show goes on, I think it in some ways is an improvement over the books. The show has given more depth to certain characters, which has been great. It tightens up some plot lines (I mean, how long do we need to follow Bran and friends as they wander around? Show added much suspense by having them end up at Craster's at the same time as Jon Snow, totally not in the books). HBO and George RR Martin, working together, make a fine team. The producers, in my opinion, are proving to be the editors Martin always needed.

And I think season 4 is shaping up to be the best yet. Yeah, the Viper vs the Mountain match was pretty disturbing. But we knew it would be.

Thanks to @jazz for the awesome emoji!

• Like Like x 1
    16. washashore
      Fine

washashore Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      I dont watch much TV, but I am obsessed with GoT. In fact, it's so good that I never notice my tinnitus during it. GoT therapy - I think we're on to something here.;)

• Informative Informative x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @LadyDi Agree.:) The show is snappier. And more interesting. I hope these things continue next year because the story gets darker as it progresses.

Of course, Martin hasn't finished writing. There are several more novels in the works. See this recent article from Entertainment Weekly:

18. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    19. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      GOT tonight! Can't wait! I think I know what s coming and have braced non-bookies the are in for a shock.
      Thank for vid, @cullenbohannon. It would have been nice to see the Viper go on to love another day. He was such a babe.

And thanks for the link, @jazz. It's interesting to hear Martin asking about EIGHT books. Why doesn't he concentrate on finishing seven?

20. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      Reviving the GoT thread here since the new season started a couple weeks ago.

I'm a book reader too so I'm very curious to see how this season concludes and what things the show will do that the books have yet to do. Especially what is going on with Brienne and Sansa!

21. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I also read all the books, @marqualler, as well as regularly watch the show. All the reviewers have suggested, and the first two episodes show, that this season will begin a substantial departure from Martin's original story line.

Which I personally think is a good thing, as Books 4 and 5 just wandered around way too much. I also very much have enjoyed Brienne's expanded plot line. And isn't it great to have Bron back?? I cant help wonder if/how the HBO series will change what Martin writes in the future?

Some of my co-workers and I started a watch club this season, so we watch the episodes together and each other's homes every week. It's so much fun. We have an ongoing contest where we each guess, in advance, an episode's body count and who will be the last character to speak in that show. So far, I am winning!

• Like Like x 1
    22. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      Totally agree--I'm glad Bronn is still around. He is such a great actor on the show. Seems like the producers on the show know which actors are TV-ready.
      That sounds awesome! We also watch it with a group of our friends. Such a good thing to watch with a group.

• Like Like x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Agreed. I read the first few books before I got tinnitus then I struggled with the last ones--too many characters and not as interesting as the other works.

I also enjoy the podcasts. :)

24. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      What did I just watch haha?

25. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey @jazz I remember you are a GoT fan. I didn't know about podcasts. Where do you get them? I do watch past episodes on HBOGo.

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I subscribe to one on my iPhone, using the podcast app. But it seems to be online too:

http://baldmove.com/category/game-of-thrones/

If you have a smartphone, however, it's good to explore. There are lots of podcasts. They range from excellent to terrible! But the one I'm listening too is a good place to start! :cat:

27. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Just saying: I think this season is knocking it out of the park. The last episode, with Sansa? Horrifying. I know the show is rapidly departing from the books, but I don't care. It's great that I now don't know what's coming. Can't wait until next week (and I sure hope Sansa gets some revenge at some point).

28. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Never watched it, but I will get around to it.

29. Rosemerry
      Energetic

Rosemerry Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Game of Thrones starts back up this Sunday in the US!

• Like Like x 2
    30. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Winter is coming...

• Agree Agree x 1