Ghost Pipe Tincture Helps Me Not Care About My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Kevin Tavin, Sep 24, 2023.

1. Kevin Tavin

Kevin Tavin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      I have had very loud tinnitus for about 5 years, and was diagnosed with severe hearing loss in the high treble range. I have hearing aids which help with communication but do little to quiet the hissing.

I have tried many natural tinctures (California Poppy, Wild Lettuce, Blue Lotus, etc.) and nothing has helped except for Ghost Pipe (Monotropa uniflora). It is really amazing and interesting as it does not stop the constant noise but does something in my brain that makes me not care -- or not get anxious as I have been for years. My tinnitus gets worse when my blood pressure goes up and it goes up because of the tinnitus. However, this tincture (double extract) really helps and my blood pressure does not go up regardless of how loud the tinnitus becomes.

The plant is quite interesting and many people claim it eases their pain (bodily and mentally), eases anxiety, and causes them to sleep, etc. It does none of those things for me except to dull my acuity to the horrible noise in my head similar to if you had dental work and were given nitrous oxide (this is not in the plant)--so you feel the pain but don't seem to care.

The plant does contain a form of salicylic acid in very small amounts, but this does not seem a reason for its actions. There is one article from the 19th century that claims it produces grayanotoxins (similar to so-called mad honey) but this claim is not backed up in any other study.

If you are interested please do your own research, as I did, before I tried it. I read everything I could find and now a dropper full (or two) works wonders.

Again, the tinnitus is still very loud (high pitch hissing like a broken high voltage wire) but my mind doesn't seem to care (and there are no other effects -- no side effects for me at all).

Hope this helps!

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kevin Tavin

Kevin Tavin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      I just wanted to add a few more lines here, if I may. First, I am a Professor in the humanities (for close to 25 years). I write this not to be arrogant at all, but to say that I try to read and research everything I can about all my illnesses, and I have gone through a lot lately, and all the possible treatments, medications, and so on and so on. My previous post is in no way to try to "sell" anything to anyone--especially in terms of market value. This is why I am supporting doing your own research deeply as much as possible, as I am sure everyone on Tinnitus Talk is doing.

Second, I am now trying to add Passionflower tincture to Ghost Pipe and California Poppy. It is the Ghost Pipe that works most but I still get anxious slightly and am trying to find the best combination for myself. I have recently tried a European supplement that contains (all in one capsule) Passionflower (Passiflora incarnata) 50 mg, Magnesium oxide, 100mg, Dry Hawthorn Flower Extract (Crataegus oxyacantha L), 75 mg, and California Poppy (Eschscholzia californica), 20 mg per capsule (recommended to take two in morning and two in the evening). This over the counter supplement is available in many more Eastern EU and non-EU countries, but not available as one serving (dose) in the US, apparently. It is not clear why, as you can purchase all of these separate ingredients in the US with no issues.

At any rate, I tried them for two weeks and they didn't really seem to do much. I have a high tolerance. Perhaps they made me feel more relaxed, but nothing that I would say would be registered as any movement on a chart. My wife, on the other hand, took two after feeling very anxious about work, and said it worked like a charm. Well, another great example of why we need to be in charge of our own healthcare needs and make decisions with medical doctors and the health care field, based not on a "standard human subject" but on our own bodies, minds, and ways of knowing ourselves. I believe in science for sure, but I try to only work with doctors that never say, "that is impossible... I never heard of such a thing"... and so on. I have decided my path forward with my doctors. I make the decisions based on my quality of life.

Sorry to go on, but all this is to say, once again, I am with everyone here who is suffering from this horrible, unspeakable at time, noise in our heads. No matter why, I feel you and hope you find some ways to ease that pain. I am trying and will keep posting my updates.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. SaraK18

SaraK18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound exposure
      @Kevin Tavin, thanks for sharing. I'm not familiar with this herb but I'm going to read more about it. Interesting that it is said to help with neuronal disorders and convulsions. I've read on Tinnitus Talk about people getting better with anticonvulsants.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kevin Tavin

Kevin Tavin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      I hope you find what you are looking for. I have had this horrible hissing for years and never posted on a blog or website, etc. I only did it because of what worked for me. It may not work for you or others, but it is worth a try - at least looking into it. I will add that the single tincture was much less effective. I found the double tincture (made with both alcohol and then veg glycerine) much more potent and effective. Just an FYI.

I would be delighted to read more if you decide to try. I have not found anyone else describe Ghost Pipe as helping with tinnitus. So, let's see! Thanks for reading and responding!

Kevin

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. SaraK18

SaraK18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound exposure
      I'm glad you shared! That's how we find ways to get better. And thanks for the other tip about the tincture. Good to know this helped, and I will report back if I give it a try!

Sara

6. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I appreciate your post.

Would you mind sharing your source and dosage?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kevin Tavin

Kevin Tavin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      Sure, it is from Etsy, the seller is GodsGraceDesigns, and the product is Ghost Pipe (Monotropa Uniflora) Double extract. I use one or two full droppers (that come with the bottles) whenever I need it. That is usually 3 times a day, more or less. There are many folks on Etsy selling the single extract, and some are ok. I want to be clear that I am not trying to promote for any personal gain this seller over others. It is the only strong and helpful double extract I can fine. Single extract might work for you or other people. It is hit or miss. Hope this helps!

• Like Like x 1
    8. andrew israel

andrew israel Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sensorineural hearing loss
      I think I am going to try Ghost Pipe. Thanks @Kevin Tavin. I have the same type of tinnitus. Monaural and I wear hearing aids.

I am tapering off Klonopin, Mirtazapine and Clonodin.

How much of the Ghost Pipe tincture do you take and at what time?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kevin Tavin

Kevin Tavin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      Hi Andrew: I usually get a 4oz bottle, but sometimes I buy 16oz at a time so I don't have to keep ordering small bottles. At any rate, the bottle comes with a dropper. I usually take two full droppers in the morning and two at night. If I am getting anxious for any reason and the hissing in my ears become louder than usual, I will take an extra dose. I would start out with perhaps one dropper and see if it does anything. Please do try to get the double extract. It is the only one I use now. I would be very interested to know if it helps. I hope so.

• Like Like x 3
    10. SamRosemary

SamRosemary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for sharing!

Anyone else give this a try?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kevin Tavin

Kevin Tavin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      Did you try it, @SamRosemary? If so, I would be delighted to read about it.

12. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      I can't find this anywhere in Europe (I searched for 'Monotropa Uniflora' for about 5 minutes).

So I guess it works a bit like Deanxit (it did not bring my tinnitus down, but it made me care less about it).

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kevin Tavin

Kevin Tavin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      It should also grow in forests in Europe. I am surprised it is not harvested. At any rate, it is easy to find on Etsy, eBay, etc. And they ship to Europe. Waiting to read from someone if it helped.

14. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Importing stuff from the US is an absolute drag and can cost a fortune on taxes, so I'd rather source locally. Will need to invest more time looking for it.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kevin Tavin

Kevin Tavin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      Understood. Still Etsy and eBay has it and it may take a while but they do ship to Europe. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    16. Anima

Anima Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma/metronidazole+kanamycin
      Hi, Kevin. I'm glad to hear you've gotten relief from the tincture. I have been searching on Etsy but there are many brands and I would like to buy the one that has worked well for you. Would you be so kind as to tell us? Thank you so much.

17. RunningMan
      Stressed

RunningMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      HiFrq ~2000, Increased 2022, LoFrq ~2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise - clubs, stereos, cycles, headphones, engines,etc
      @Kevin Tavin posted a link to his source several posts back in this thread. It was GodsGraceDesigns - Ghost Pipe (Monotropa Uniflora) Double extract.

18. Anima

Anima Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma/metronidazole+kanamycin
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kevin Tavin

Kevin Tavin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried and had any (good, bad, or no) effects from using Ghost Pipe?

I am curious. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    20. gameover

gameover Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      Great timing. I tried it yesterday for the first time before going to sleep. Just one dropper diluted in half glass of water. How do you take it?

I was somewhat calmer falling asleep, a little bit detached. Hard to say yet. Definitely not a bad experience.

• Like Like x 2
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kevin Tavin

Kevin Tavin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      I always take 2 full droppers full, sublingual administration, hold it under my tongue for about 30 seconds and then swallow. I actually don't mind the taste at all. I do this a couple/few times a day as needed, based on the severity of my tinnitus. You might want to try during the day if your tinnitus is bad as mine, and see what it does, if anything.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    22. gameover

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      I gried one dropper under the tongue like you suggested. I can't say it had much of an effect.

And regarding "dropper full", maybe I don't know how to handle it, but to me it is more like half of a dropper. So maybe too little of a dose. I will try a higher dose next time. I am going careful about it as I don't want to overdo and have any bad effects.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kevin Tavin

Kevin Tavin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      Of course. What I mean by a dropper full is if the bottle came with a dropper, fill it as completely as possible, pulling all the liquid in the dropper.

As I stated in my first post, it may not work for others.

I would also research it, and at least as far as I can see using two droppers has had no negative effects--if you look at all the reviews on Etsy as well. But again, it depends on the strength of the tincture.

For me, I felt nothing in terms of relaxation etc., but eventually, and within a short time, I just seemed to not be as bothered--not much at all, most of the time, with my horrible, loud, and constant hissing noise.

I do hope it helps, but if not, I am sorry that you wasted your time and money.

I have not read anywhere that there are negative side effects (but you should find this out yourself, that is the only way I do it, no matter how many people recommend something).

Also, and this is important, the color should be dark purple. If not, there is not much concentration of the ghost pipe (look this up as well). The darker color and the little specs (pieces of the plant) mean the tincture is very high quality.

• Like Like x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kevin Tavin

Kevin Tavin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      Any news? Anyone else try this? I am really curious if this is just me. I am trying to listen to y'all carefully... but the hissing sound gets in the way.

25. gameover

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      I'm having a really bad day today. 20 minutes ago I took 3 droppers of Ghost Pipe (after shaking the contents up) like you suggested - under tongue for 30 seconds, then swallowed. So far nothing to report.

I got the "good stuff" from the source you referenced.

EDIT: I can confirm zero effect. I had a really bad (loud) night/morning, worse than recently, which was already very bad, but I can't conclude Ghost Pipe contributed.

• Hug Hug x 1
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kevin Tavin

Kevin Tavin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      I am so sorry to read this. I do hope you find something that helps. It did take some time for me, but not long and it seems like this just isn't for you. Sorry you wasted your time and money. Best in your pursuit of a better treatment.