Had a Spike and a Reminder

Discussion in 'Support' started by Johnnysback, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Johnnysback

Johnnysback Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hey everyone haven't posted in awhile and that's usually a great thing for a t sufferer.

I have been doing pretty good since I last posted. Put the brakes on recording and headphones and have been taking daily vitamin and ginkgo. Its probably just time but have been better and ignoring my t and just living with things i enjoy and distract. When I noticed it I just would acknowledge its there and move on with my life.

I did have a spike a couple of days ago and I'm kicking myself a little. I was washing the car and decided to use the air dryer and manually dry the car. After a few minutes of using it I did tell myself whoa...this thing is a little loud. Similar to a leaf blower it was enough for me to stop and put my plugs in that I carry with me everywhere. That night I noticed a spike in my ears. I never had pain in my ear but the noise was loud and I didn't go more than a few minutes before I plugged.

For a t sufferer though... I do notice the spike and am bugged I didn't catch it before. A reminder that as normal as I want to remain I have to be on guard with those loud sounds and never take a chance.

I know it will calm down eventually but as you know...once you become aware of it again I feel like I lost some ground to ignoring it. A reminder for sure. Thx for listening.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Amber
      Depressed

Amber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      One time the spike may not go away. You know spikes can be permanent right?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I've had lots of temporary spikes since getting tinnitus, they usually go down after a day or two of rest and quiet.

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Amber,
      Try be supportive....lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Johnnysback

Johnnysback Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I'm sure in some instances spikes can be permanent...I think that's probably where real damage has been done. I don't believe I exposed myself enough to cause permanent damage but I hear ya. Regardless, it was a reminder to put my plugs in even if there's a small chance of loud exposure.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Kayla L
      Depressed

Kayla L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 13, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/TMJ/Anxiety/Stress
      Did your spike end up going away? I'm on day 5 of a spike/volume increase/chirps in one ear after 1.5 years of not really noticing it.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Johnnysback

Johnnysback Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yeah it went down...of course t sufferers always think its louder than it was before...who knows lol. It was probably mental for me