Hard of Hearing and Tinnitus — How to Answer Questions About Disabilities on Job Applications?

Discussion in 'Support' started by AbbaZaba, Mar 5, 2024.

1. AbbaZaba

AbbaZaba Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey all,

I have tinnitus as well as moderate to moderately severe hearing loss and I wear hearing aids. On job applications there are questions about disabilities, such as hard of hearing. I was wondering how do you answer those questions?

While I don’t consider tinnitus to be disabling for the most part, it can be that way when I can’t sleep. Sometimes it lasts a few weeks, sometimes just a day or two. Do you discuss this with potential employers?

I don’t want to shoot myself in the foot, but how honest should I be?

• Like Like x 1
    2. RunningMan
      Stressed

RunningMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      HiFrq ~2000, Increased 2022, LoFrq ~2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise - clubs, stereos, cycles, headphones, engines,etc
      Tinnitus can be debilitating if it's bad enough. When I filled out applications, I never stated myself as having any type of disability.

• Like Like x 1
    3. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      I wouldn't tell them anything that wasn't job-related. I'm going to be reentering the workforce myself after a 30-40 year pause, and it's hard enough getting hired when you're 72. My old boss once told me, never put anything negative on a job application, only talk about the positive aspects you bring to their position.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AbbaZaba

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I definitely agree. I should have clarified that MY tinnitus isn’t disabling most of the time. I do have struggles, but I try not to focus on those and just keep swimming.
      Best of luck to you! I’m 55 and going back after a year away.

• Like Like x 1
    5. 2noist

2noist Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      I would also be hesitant sharing about my tinnitus with my employer, it seems too personal and I'm afraid they might think it lowers my ability to perform well.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AbbaZaba

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’m also hard of hearing and wear hearing aids. It’s against the law to not give me a job because of that, but how would you prove it?

7. Pinhead
      Dead

Pinhead Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      For me it does. I'm not ashamed to admit that. They would be remiss to fire me for a disability causing poorer performance, anyways.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AbbaZaba

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was talking with a friend about this while she was helping with my resume. She suggested that I address the hearing issue in my cover letter, as I now also have an almost one-year gap in employment, and answer the questions honestly about the hearing issue on an application. I think I’m going with that. If an employer is unable to accommodate me, then I don’t want to work there. It wouldn’t last, and I tend to stay at my jobs for a long time.