Having My Wisdom Tooth Removed on Tinnitus Side on Tuesday. Scared.

Discussion in 'Support' started by shrimp, Sep 17, 2016.

1. shrimp
      Balanced

shrimp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SCDS, Possibly Ciprofloxacin also.
      So I've been putting it off for a whole year now since I got my T but tuesday I've got an appointment to pull my wisdom tooth on my T side and I'm freaking out. I'm dead scared of the dentist to begin with but this T thing has made it ten times worse as I'm so scared it'll get worse. The tooth has got to go though as it has a cavity in it that they can't fix. Forcing myself not to call and postpone once again. Please tell me it's gonna be alright? I need some support, some stories with a good ending on this.

2. Stef
      Moonlighting

Stef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hey! i also removed my wisdom tooth(3 of them actually) and i was ok, so dont panick, it will be ok :)

• Like Like x 1
    3. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      Hmmm, well, getting anywhere near dental equipment is a concern for tinnitus, to be completely honest. You should inform your oral surgeon of your tinnitus so they go easy on you/take breaks with any equipment they use.

Before you go under, take some N-acetyl cysteine (1200 mg) and some chelated magnesium; both have oto-protective effects for loud noises such as those caused by dental equipment. You may want to bring earplugs too, just to block the high frequencies. But because of the occlusion effect from earplugs, that may not be advised.

The most important thing is to stay calm and use calming techniques before the surgery. Anxiety is the worst thing for ears exposed to any kinds of noises or stressors.

4. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      I have had extensive dental work done and it never affected my T. Actually when I left the dentist I did notice more than once that my T was lower. After this happening I found out he used lidocane to numb up my jaw. In the search box at the top of the page type in < lidocane tinnitus > and you should see a bunch of threads regarding lidocane and tinnitus.

5. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I wouldn't advise earplugs at all. As you stated, the occlusion effect would just make things a lot worse.

The external noise is not loud, and I would say with some certainty that it's not really damaging. The intensity of the noise is all internal via bone conduction, and this is where it will get louder (once the drill starts to go into your tooth). The ear plugs would do nothing at all for this in fact they would only intensify it and make it worse. My advice would be relax, let your dentist know your concerns and get the work done.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Jacob83
      Balanced

Jacob83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I <3 punk rock and metal
      I had filling done on Thursday, I went in there borderline terrified and I was much surprised that the drill wasn't nearly as loud as I thought it was going to be. I informed my dentist about my tinnitus and he said he had no problem doing short bursts and if at any time I felt he was going too long to simply raise my hand. You'll be OK!

@gary
      that's interesting. When they finished up, I was left in the room alone and it was quiet and I couldn't hear my T.

7. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I'd suggest headphones and music. My dentist actually supplies them but I bring my own. Good luck!

8. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Correct me if I'm wrong , but removing teeth doesn't make any loud noise, does it ? Even drilling doesn't cause changes to T, most of the times, let alone removing a tooth. In my view, you have nothing to worry about as far as T is concerned .

9. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Removing teeth makes no noise at all. However, the use of a drill on a tooth certainly would. It's still not something that would hugely concern me, unless it went on for hours which isn't going to happen.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      shrimp
      Balanced

shrimp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SCDS, Possibly Ciprofloxacin also.
      So I thought I'd let you all know how it went! It went really well! Way over expectation. I even survived it without any type of sedating medicine which I never thought would have been possible. Yes I freaked out a bit for a while and felt like I was about to pass out at one point but they took a break and went easy on me and I survived it. Also no loud sound whatsoever and no spike from having kept my mouth open for long etc. I'm so relieved.

11. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      Glad you survived. I panicked a bit before getting a tooth pulled for the first time. Almost paid the doctor to gas me and tell me jokes!! After my tooth was removed, I gave myself heck for being such a wuss, as it really was nothing to fear. Had a terrific dental team that day too so that made it a positive experience.