Having Some Reflections About My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gustav, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Gustav
      Worried

Gustav Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hello,

I've had tinnitus tinnitus for more than four years in my left ear. Now I also have it in the right ear but I don't hear it unless I'm in complete silence, then it takes over my entire head. It's funny because when I got the tinnitus in the right ear I started to worry about it and then the louder, higher sound in my left ear didn't feel like a problem. Now however, my tinnitus in the left is my main issue once again and I can't stand living with it. I'm tired of it, and it feels louder than before. I can hear it all the time if I focus on it, it's always there, even in traffic or in the car or anything. I don't think it's louder than it was before, but I must have habituated to it and ignored it unless I was in a quiet environment.
      I remember when I got tinnitus I was sensitive to sound, then it slowly faded away to a more managable level than didn't affect me. Now after going to a venue with loud sound I got the sound sensitivity back (maybe hyperacusis). I even react when some people talk to me that they talk way too loud etc. Some sounds are very harsh etc.

I've been trying to google if the tinnitus can react to sound but haven't found an answer. What I mean by that is that it feels like my tinnitus is beeping in rhythm with a music melody for example. If a melody goes tu- du- tu- du, my tinnitus goes beep- beep- beep- beep- in the same rhythm as the melody tones. Anyone else experience that? I particularly notice that when wearing ear plugs, it's like the tones gets distorted in my ear resulting in a beep along with my constant ringing in the ear.

Sometimes also, but not that often, when I chew for example marshmellows my tinnitus reacts to it. Have no clue it there could be some issues that is treatable. All I know is that my tinnitus came from sound exposure followed by a cold.

I wonder if anyone has some input, or knowledge about my issues. I know there's most likely nothing to do except letting time do it's thing though.

/ Gustav

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Is it the case that going to a loud venue had also made the T in your left ear louder (in addition to giving you H)?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gustav
      Worried

Gustav Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Could very well be. Maybe I was focusing on the "new" T so I didn't notice that my old T got louder until a few days ago. Actually the moment I started to worry about my old T again was when I was in the church and it was completely silent. Then the T seemed extremely loud, I couldn't focus on anything else that my T. That was last thursday and since then I haven't been able to think about anything else than my T except for brief moments.

• Hug Hug x 1