Head's Hissing Now, Ears Have Normal Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Paulmanlike, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Well I've got my usual tinnitus in my left ear that I've adapted too as I've had it a while and my right ear is silent.

However the last couple of weeks I've woken up to my right ear feeling blocked that usually subsides and it feels like it's came blocked from the inside of that makes sense. On top of that, I've got a hissing sound in my head rather than a new one in my ears. I've had no exposure to loud sounds as I avoid them as much as I can. Although a firework did go off over the new year not far from me (a banger that explodes on the floor) but was not too close a good 50 metres away.

I've also started sertraline and I don't think it could be that as it's a pretty rare side effect according to the internet.

The sound is like air escaping in the centre of my head, and obviously the usual screech in my left ear that I cant do nothing about.

Any idea what it could be? Wax build up? Fluid behind the ear? Feel like my hearing is a bit down but so much like it's really noticeable? Thanks

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Paulmanlike ,
      I think it's missfiring signals.
      Love glynis x

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      My ears are full of wax and I read an anxiety symptom is hissing/fizzing in the head?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Please anybody I need somebody to tell me.

I've got this hissing sound that comes from my head (not my ears - usual tinnitus in left ear). The way I can describe it is as if u open up a can of coke and hear it fizzing but it's continuous.

I've had a lot of anxiety the last few weeks and also wake up sometimes and have the feeling my right ear is blocked.

It doesn't sound like a new tinnitus tone but something different - hissing inside the head? My usual tinnitus is ringing in the ear but this is inside my head??

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I've had that happen to me. When it first happened, it replaced my regular T. I thought it was a sign of healing. However, in my case it didn't last, the T that I can hear in my ears had returned. I read that a number of people's T becomes "head T". In any case, what you are experiencing is just a variety of T. It is not particularly rare. It might be gone soon, it might replace your T, or it could be a new tone in addition to your regular T. But please don't worry just yet. When these new tones appear, often they fade. In other words, in my experience (and in the experience of several other posters here), the new tones are more likely to fade (or fade faster) than the "main" T.

I had an acoustic trauma in one ear. Nine months after onset, for no reason, T spread to what used to be my good ear. The new tone was louder than the sound in my "bad" ear! However, the new tone began fading. Right now it is still there, but it is a lot quieter than the tone in my bad ear.

You need to wait for at least three months before concluding that whatever change that had taken place is permanent/new baseline.

6. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I sometimes get the hissing inside my head. I often think its tinnitus moving to my so-far unaffected ear, and other times it seems like is, as you say, inside my head. I can't explain it, but so long as it doesn't get worse and stays transient I just put up with it. No-one's going to waste their time translating it medically for me. That I know about tinnitus well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My head hisses 24/7.

I would look at the medications you are taking.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My tinnitus is mostly the head hiss. It’s ‘normal’.
      I find this more palatable than having it in the ear.

9. Ashley Ann
      Jaded

Ashley Ann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      potentially noise-induced or somatic. ultimately unknown.
      Hi there,

I know this thread is a year old. But I'm experiencing this at the minute, a hissing sound in my head that appeared after a particularly bad bout of anxiety. Did this clear up for you or did it replace your baseline T sound?