Hearing Amplifier for Tinnitus Relief (It Made My Tinnitus Stop)

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by APapaCharlie, Jan 12, 2020.

1. APapaCharlie
      Cheerful

APapaCharlie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey,

I have had tinnitus for over a year now and I am just starting posting on these forums today. I don't know how I got my tinnitus. I was lying on the couch and it just started. I've been to ENTs and tried all the stuff that people with tinnitus. try to make the noise go away but so far no luck. Mine is not super bad except when I sleep but I take Trazodone and tell Alexa to start up the white noise, ocean waves, or distant thunderstorms. This will mask it pretty good most nights but sometimes I have a bad night where it battles to be heard over the mask. My tinnitus sounds like a dentist drill.

I went to the audiologist and performed a test and my hearing is perfectly normal so I was basically told that it would eventually go away but here I am still waiting for that day. I have read articles about hearing aids with maskers but I have no hearing loss and those things are expensive! I read articles on hearing amplifiers which people with normal hearing use for watching tv or listening for baby cries in the next room, etc. I read that if you amplify the hearing that the brain cancels out the tinnitus and could possibly over time make it go down a good bit. So I decided to pick one up on Amazon for about $125 bucks and it just came in today. This has a masker on it as well and I will be using that tonight and give Alexa and my wife a break.

I really just got it for the masker but I decided to try the amplifier on normal setting with the lowest volume and the first thing I noticed was I could hear crystal clear and the second thing I noticed was my ringing stopped. I may have heard it a tiny bit here and there but not like usual and i enjoyed the hell out of it and will keep wearing it and hopefully my dentist drill will go bye bye.

Has anyone in here ever had good luck or bad luck with a amplifier? I look forward to hearing how it worked out for you and good luck in the fight against this noisy world we live in!

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    2. Harley

Harley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I would be hesitant to use any noise amplifying devices for the simple fact that if there is a loud noise, it will get amplified to unsafe levels and could actually cause more damage.

3. Artazanasss
      Caffeine

Artazanasss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/09
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced hidden hearing loss and acoustic trauma
      It's really great to hear that you are doing better. Hearing amplifiers are basically hearing aids, just over the counter and not insanely expensive, because audiologists don't rip you off for fitting and other nonsense that barely has any advantages. Also people with cochlear synaptopathy or hidden hearing loss can't get normal hearing aids, because audiologists ignore that hidden hearing loss exists so it's a very good alternative.

So a lot of people have improvement of tinnitus by hearing aids and since hearing amplifiers perform the same basic function, i.e. amplify the sound I'm not surprised your tinnitus improved.

I actually thought about buying this hearing amplifier from AliExpress as well:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32856205816.html

Not for tinnitus, but for my hidden hearing loss that results in a bad hearing in background noise, muted hearing of TV and computer games and generally poor overall quality of sound with distortions. I will report how well it goes for me here.
      Most of the sound amplifiers have a function to turn volume up or down so if you have volume on low it's not really that dangerous. Not any more dangerous than regular hearing aids at least.

4. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Is there something like this but you can customize for only specific frequencies?