Hearing Tones with "White Noise"

Discussion in 'Support' started by parsky, Mar 8, 2018.

1. parsky

parsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/1/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've noticed that the hvac at work, bathroom exhaust fan, microwave fan, refrigerator and even white noise from driving in my car seem to cause this randomly pulsating tone/chirp at ~1.2kHz in both ears. The hvac at work is the worst because there are lots of blowers in the ceiling and other than that the place is pretty quiet. I even listened to some white noise tracks on youtube and while it is much less pronounced it is still there. No one else can hear it but me and it gets louder with an increase in the white noise.

I have no tinnitus at 1.2kHz and don't get any distortion or anything when I do really quite pure tone tests. I've had a 1.5kHz tone in my right ear for over a year while the other has a 1.1kHz tone and 14.5kHz hiss & tone in my other ear. The left ear is only heard in a dead quiet room and the right ear can be heard in most rooms unless fans or the tv is running. My right ear definitely has a hearing loss notch from 1.2kHz to 1.5kHz, although I have a normal audiogram. I can tell I have some loss in my right ear because my left ear can hear pure tones that are much quieter then when hearing in my right in the range of loss. There is even some nastly off tone distortion when I get around 1.3-1.4kHz

Does anyone know what this is? There is just no escaping this crap, just when I'm starting to manage the T, then this... I was mostly trying to figure out why the hvac was so noisy but discovered lots of stuff caused the same tone. Now I hear it everywhere there is a lot of white noise and not enough random noise like talking or music.

2. Helheim
      Angry

Helheim Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      Mine definitely did that. There was a time when white noise sounded absolutely nothing like reality and it was awful. Fortunately it's mostly gone now and the few traces of distortion I still pick up sometimes is easy to ignore.

• Like Like x 1
    3. lauracolle
      Inspired

lauracolle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017. H since 09/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJD/stress/unknown. No noise exposure.
      @parsky I'm experiencing the exact same thing right now since a few weeks. How's it now for you?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      parsky

parsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/1/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I just ignore it less. I think some of it is real (the tone is really there) and some might be my hearing.