Heart Valve Surgery and Pulsatile Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Terrific123, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Terrific123

Terrific123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I have had pulsatile tinnitus since Dec of 2012. I did not think I would ever be able to live with the ringing in my head, but others on this site helped me believe I would habituate to life with tinnitus.

I am now scheduling open heart surgery and am experiencing great anxiety over the fact that the mechanical mitral valve will make a clicking sound and be heard especially at night. It took two years of sleepless nights filled with thoughts of suicide and depression, and I don't think I can cope with two years like that again.

Has anyone with Pulsatile Tinnitus undergone open heart surgery and had to learn to live with noisy mechanical valve.

With the support of people on this site, I have made it this far. One Day at a time. Thank you all!

Terry

2. Scared111

Scared111 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      my friend had a mechanical mitral valve placed. he cannot hear any sound.

3. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I have a mild case of mitral valve prolapse, and I know nothing about this surgery, but I would recommend that you inform your surgeon about your tinnitus, and your concerns, because there very well could be a replacement valve that is quieter than average. As far as the surgery, I have a 60 year old friend who had emergency surgery at NYU Hospital a few months ago for a prolapsed mitral valve that began leaking blood like a fire hydrant, and hes fine today - working and getting around like nothing happened. In any case, good luck and hope all goes well.

4. Scared111

Scared111 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      did you have your surgery yet? how did everything go?

5. PatJeffrey

PatJeffrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long strenous jog on a hot summer day in 1995.
      Ive had Tinnitus for 25 years. I'm going in for mitral valve regurgitation surgery, because of severe leakage. I'll let you know how it impacts my tinnitus, if any.

6. Laurierlady

Laurierlady Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1.5 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've had tinnitus for 1.5 years and was just informed that I need mitro valve surgery this year. Just wondering if since you had your surgery it eliminated the tinnitus. No idea if it is heart related

7. Onesmrtrn

Onesmrtrn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 months ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have no idea
      I am new to all of this. I have acquired tinnitus 4 months ago and just diagnosed with mild mitral regurgitation. A friend told me today that they are associated. My tinnitus is getting worse. Iā€™m wondering if my mitral is worse as well and if I will need surgery to replace it. How are you now?