Helicopter Encounter — Am I Dead X.X

Discussion in 'Support' started by Coyotesheaven, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      So, I had a bad accident but still blaming myself for it. I was watching the sunset not far from a helicopter landing pad. I know to run if one gets too close, seek shelter if people start walking around it.

Well one took off today and I was within 5 seconds of getting into a building, probably around 400 feet away from me and around 150 feet off the ground. The noise was probably around, oh, 85 db? I had earplugs in, but to no avail.

Are my ears screwed? My low pitched T has come back on again...

2. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi Coyotesheaven,

Welcome to the site!

Not sure why you decided to knowingly place yourself in such a situation. As for the ringing, it may be attributable to a spike. If you are deeply concerned, you may want to get a hearing test for some peace of mind.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      @MikeL1972

It probably was not the best situation, but I had planned an escape route and timed it and it worked fine before. I was rather far away from the pad, around 1,000 feet or more, so I wasn't willingly standing right next to it.

I had to flee to a building slightly downwind from the helicopter. It took longer for me to get there as I tripped. I also did not anticipate that the helicopter would come right for me, as it did.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      @Coyotesheaven

I should also mentioned that I had earplugs in. Not deep, but enough to shield around 10 db of noise in the lows, and the highs were not an issue. Max recording was around 85 db when it was more or less perpendicular to me.

5. Amber
      Depressed

Amber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      If this is the definition of bad accident for you, I feel bad for you. This is more about you being paranoid than you experiencing auditory insult.

85 decibels and you used earplugs? That's the level of human talking! Are you nuts, Coyotes!

6. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      does your T sounds like a Helicopter ?

• Funny Funny x 3
    7. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      You're fine. Just so you know : the sunset is visible from a lot of places. It's convenient for that, a sunset.

8. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      As Arnold says: Get To Da Chopper!!!!

• Like Like x 2
    9. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      85 db is not bad , it may cause a spike. That level of db is not considered harmful.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
    11. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      I have to speak out. I resent your post Amber. Coyotesheaven who has probably one of the highest IQ's of anybody on this forum has special physiological challenges. So it isn't Coyotesheaven that needs to get a clue, its you Amber. Btw, I tried to PM you privately to disclose this, but if you want to further disrespect the forum by disabling this function, then I will call you out publicly.

Coyotesheaven...85dB will not cause damage to your hearing apparatus. I know you are acutely sensitive to sound but this dB level will not cause any short or long term hard to your hearing.
      I know based upon previous conversations that it is difficult for you to not blame yourself for many things related to your hearing or otherwise, but please try to reject this emotional response. Love yourself Coyotesheaven because you are unique and have greater depth of feeling others couldn't possibly understand. This is quite apparent in your writing. Feel better. Each of us with hearing challenges get caught out living our lives with sound levels that bother each of us short term. There should be no self blame for this. Rather Coyotesheaven by contrast, you should be commended for getting out there and living your life on your terms in spite of your hearing sensitivity. You should be credited for living your life fully and there should be no room for self criticism.
      Be well and take the occasion spike in sound as part of life in stride.

• Agree Agree x 1