Hello all lovers of silence

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Andrew Monger, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Andrew Monger

Andrew Monger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      I'm a 70yr old male who, for the past several years, has been acutely aware of an annoying, unvarying and sometimes unnerving high pitched, hissing sound in the right side of my head. I've recently undergone stapedotomy surgery in my right ear, and am anxiously awaiting my first post-op appointment. My tinnitus had become more pronounced as the hearing in my right ear worsened. My best estimate of the initial onset of both hearing loss and tinnitus was sometime in 2007-2008. I have been studying ear physiology in general and tinnitus research for the past few months. I'm now retired and have an extensive background in communications and industrial electronics.

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Andrew, and welcome!

I'm interested in hearing more about your stapedotomy surgery, and the outcome. My doctors had suggested stapedotomy for me, based on the fact that I have conductive hearing loss in my right ear. I opted not to do the surgery for now. I have both pulsatile and hissing tinnitus in my right ear.

I'm curious; so far, has it helped, or hindered, your tinnitus? Has your hearing improved in your right ear, as a result of the surgery? Any unforeseen problems?

I hope your hissing has improved. Please update us after your post-op appointment. Thanks!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andrew Monger

Andrew Monger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      Thanks for your welcome Karen!
      At this early stage in my post-op (the surgery was performed this past Monday) I've not experienced any changes in the frequency or level of my T. I am hopeful that the restoration of my hearing will provide enough stimulus to my neural pathway and diminish or eliminate my T. I will report my progress.

4. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Thanks Andrew. Welcome and yes, keep us updated

5. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Yes, Andrew. Thanks for replying, and we're looking forward to hearing more from you about your post-op experience. I truly hope it results in reduced tinnitus!!

Also, I'd like to know more about the surgery. Did you just spend one night in the hospital, and did you experience any dizziness/vertigo after the surgery?