Hello and Advice on Prednisone?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Swiftsails, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Swiftsails

Swiftsails Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma / Unknown
      Have had tinnitus for the past 3 weeks. I am not 100% sure what caused it, 1 week prior to noticing T there was an incident where my ear buds spiked. I have a suspicion that there was acoustic trauma that caused the issue.

Went to the ENT, hearing is in normal ranges. ENT pretty much said it happens, try to live with it. She noticed I have enlarged tonsils which she said could be sleep apnea which can aggravate/cause tinnitus. No other action items.

I was curious if any fellow posters had advice on next steps or any immediate action items. Even though its slightly outside of the usual range, I was curious if its worth finding a doctor that would prescribe prednisone on the chance that it was indeed acoustic trauma? Anything else I should do immediately?

Thanks!

2. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      What do you mean by when you say your earbuds spiked?It wouldn't hurt but because there's no hearing loss they most likely won't prescribe it to you because there's no evidence of something wrong if you get me?After my acoustic incident in 2014 I was refused Steroids because I had no hearing loss.Then after an acoustic shock 2016 I went to the ENT and yet again no hearing loss was present no T increase so was refused yet again!They put me on Valium twice daily to reduce anxiety for another issue and that was it.Regardless even at this stage 3 weeks is a long time and they're most likely not going to be effective,it's recommended you take them within the first 48hrs.

3. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      I think every body is different and responds different, obviously
      you cant try.
      i can relate to those ear buds "spiking"... it happend to me a few times in the past years.
      im not a doctor but i dont think your case is Noise induced, 1 week is way to much for a noise induced trauma.
      in my personal opinion, some people experience tinnitus from out of the blue,
      like me, but dont worry chances that i would resolved on its own are big.
      ask for a second opinion (ETN)

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Swiftsails

Swiftsails Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey Bill. I was wearing in ear monitors and the volume from my phone got increased to maybe max for a few seconds before I got them out of my ears. I noticed no pain, hearing loss or T immediately after this. One week after the event I started to notice my T. Trying to figure out if there is anything else I should do while I am still a month out from T.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Swiftsails

Swiftsails Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mario thanks for the kind words. I am really hoping it does resolve on it own. While I think I am coping with it ok I have definitely had some of my darkest moments in my life.

• Like Like x 1
    6. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Same thing happened to me trying to use pink noise for my hyperacusis,there's no where in my country that offer TRT :(Just listening to low volume when it decided to jump to full volume for no apparent reason,been suffering ever since.

7. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Welcome! im glad you are coping with it

8. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Do you have a history of loud noise exposure? Concerts, clubs, loud noises at work?
      It doesn't seem like that would be the case of an acoustic trauma, but if you have cumulative damage from noise exposure in the past it's possible it was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Michael Leigh has warned others repeatedly about the risk associated with the use of ear buds and headphones. Id have a look at his posts.

Id also consider taking n acetyl cysteine