Hello, Fellow Sufferers!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Bob Burns, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Bob Burns

Bob Burns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was from a chainsaw exhaust
      I kind of stumbled into this website after listening (on the I-net) to some huckster tell me he has "discovered" a cure for tinnitis. As usual, after the pitch I checked out reviews of his company (ScienceComplete, was it?) and of course it's just another scam according to this website and others. But along the way I thought I might sign up with you all to see if I can learn anything that might be useful to mitigate or get rid of my tinnitis. (Fat chance?)

I've been suffering from this thing for almost 30 years after working with a chainsaw, unprotected.

Well, I paid the price. (I was an ignorant kid of 45 years, more or less!) After I was through with the saw and turned it off, my ears were ringing and it has never stopped. At first I was thinking I would go crazy but after a few weeks I guess I kind of adapted somehow. But that ringing is always, always there, sometimes it's worse than others. (The quieter the environment, the noisier the ringing seems.)

My doctors have told me I'm stuck with this affliction for the rest of my life but every now and then I surf to see if some magic pill has been invented by a legitimate company. So far, no luck.

Worst of all, I'm a classical music lover (and pianist) and the tinnitis changed my listening abilities forever. I've lost hearing on most high frequencies and usually drown out the ringing by turning up the volume, when listening.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. monkey legs

monkey legs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1991 (Low level). Worse Dec 2017 to Now
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear injury (paintball) 1991. 2017 > Onwards Cause? Not sure.
      Welcome to you!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bob Burns

Bob Burns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Actually I'll be 75 in a couple of months. Considering the option, I'll stick with the tinnitis. I'm not even close to checking out yet. I'd describe myself as "hugely annoyed" and not suicidal.

• Like Like x 2
    4. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      You seem to have a good attitude about your tinnitus. That is very important, keep moving forward and being positive. Tinnitus can be an emotional drain and negativity simply makes it more draining.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    5. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I'm not sure your negative posts help matters. People like to have some hope. A lot of us are a bit traumatized the way it is without negative reinforcement.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bob Burns

Bob Burns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tinnitis is a large "minus" on one's quality of life, to be sure. There are times when I really, well, sort of despair, I suppose, but it's not anything even close to suicide. I have a clear memory of what it is like to have real silence or to hear a piece of music fully; that is what I miss more than anything.

I imagine that an track and field athlete missing a leg feels similarly when he is constantly reminded that he can no longer run. You just learn to deal with it.

I just wish medical science could find a cure. I really would spend whatever I have to be cured of this thing.