Hello... Just Signed Up

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Wheels73, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Wheels73

Wheels73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Hi everyone...

I've bilateral tinnitus (ringing in both ears) for 7 years now.. and have high frequency hearing loss in both ears..
      I've learnt to cope with this and is part of my everyday life... whats drawn me here is the additional humming noise that I've now got which seems to have got worse over the last week.

I always had a slight sensitivity to low frequency noises and would often have the vibration after a long car journey but it always stopped after a few minutes. However recently, it's seems to have switched on and hasn't subsided. This has brought back those horrible anxiety feelings and brought me to tears for the first time in 7 years. It also behaves strangely, on being interrupted by my heart beat at night or a low frequency noise like a car passing outside. It also gets interrupted when I shake my head or grit my teeth..

The only thing I've changed is my diet, cutting out fats etc and have been going to the gym for the last 3 months. all this was supposed to address cholesterol etc.. after visiting the nurse for post 40 MOT.

I'm off to the Docs next week, but are no thinking well what shall I say.. ooh.. i've another noise you can do nothing about? I've heard that low rumblings do warrant further investigation. I'd appreciate any thoughts or comments on this... especially if anyone has experienced the same.

Not sure if I should have wrote all this in my hello....
      Regards

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum, @Wheels73. Sorry that your new low humming T is giving you so much trouble. You have habituated to T before so be positive that you can handle the new ringing sound too. It may just take some time. Hopefully your new sound goes away but if it doesn't people do get used to it. Many members here have multi-tone T. Many do get better after giving it some time to adjust. David Lettermen is known to have 2-tone T, a high and a low. In this 1996 show with William Shatner (Star Trek captain), Letterman joked about his 2-toned T like the emergency broadcast system being tested 7/24, lol. It is possible for people to habituate to even multi-tone T. But I hope your new tone will fade so you won't be so anxious of it. Take care. God bless.

David Letterman with William Shatner - March,...

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wheels73

Wheels73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Hi... thanks for the video. I'm a star trek fan and often forget about shatters own condition.
      I know what I've to do.. again.... I wish I was Vulcan and could suppress my emotions... but time is the only healer... fingers crossed that it calms down...
      Regards

• Like Like x 1
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced

When tinnitus was originally caused by loud noise, in most instances (but not all) the reason it gets worse is due to further loud noise exposure and using headphones, going to clubs, concerts where loud music is played. Even when wearing hearing protection a person still has to be careful.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wheels73

Wheels73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I have listened to headphones at work... but only the radio.. very rarely music.. then I was conscious of the volume. I can remember my audiologist saying not to be afraid to wear headphones and to try to live life normally.... aside from thunderstorms and rain... I don't think ill use then ever again.