Hello! "Pulsing" in the Ear Almost Exclusively Triggered by Burping

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Urbs, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Urbs

Urbs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      N/A
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      N/A
      Hello everyone,

I officially see an ENT in 2 weeks after having a "pulsing" in the ear, almost exclusively triggered by burping (the kind of burps that almost get stuck in the throat and are almost like a burp/hiccup hybrid), and seem to be concentrated to the mornings, as well as a general feeling of fullness in the left ear which I can't pop away. It "came out of the blue" one morning on a burp, I hadn't been sick or dealing with a runny nose in the weeks leading up to it.

My GP said it was most likely eustachian tube dysfunction and told me to take Sudafed for 5 days, but unfortunately I am a few days past that and I don't notice any markable improvements. I have some random periods of autophony as well, which is kinda scary every time it happens, but it never lasts longer than 5-10 minutes before going away.

Now that I have browsed this forum for a while, it seems I may be dealing with MEM (Middle Ear Myoclonus) but I don't want to jump to conclusions before seeing the ENT.

Anyways, I am pretty scared I somehow ended up with a rare ear disorder that will be with me for a long long time, and I am only in my 20's. My anxiety and depression have gotten worse the last couple of years and it seems every month its some new medical issue I have to deal with.

If anyone ends up seeing this, good luck on your journey and I hope I have okay news to report after seeing the doc!

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. It is not likely burping itself is the reason for the tinnitus. But burping involves air movement that can involve the eustachian tube. So if you have some form of ETD, burping can probably affect that to give you a somatic tinnitus. There have been discussions on burping and tinnitus. So you can search the forum to see some prior discussions such as this one below. Good luck. God bless.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/ringing-sound-when-i-burp.32800/