Hello

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sundowner, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Sundowner
      Surrender

Sundowner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure, but could be close proximity to a 40/60 bofors gun
      I stumbled over this site when I received a junk email this morning stating that tinnitus is linked with Alzheimer's. That scared me so much that I immediately did some research and found this forum.
      Why it scared me is because not only do I have tinnitus, some older rello's have died from Alzheimer disease.

I first noticed my tinnitus when I was 27 or 28 whilst in the Navy around 1978-79, but I may have had it from my adolescence, say around age 14 and was too busy getting on with developing testosterone, pimples and pursuing girls, that I didn't notice it. I do have a recollection of something being "not right" back then. It was about then that I was diagnosed as an epileptic and not until I was in my mid 50's was it properly diagnosed as Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy.

As I get older, the tinnitus gets progressively, slowly louder, an insipid creeping thing that is very slowly taking over my life. I'm presently 67 and I can see that in about 10 years it just might win.
      Most of the time I've been able to keep on top of it by taking my mind off it and making it, forcing it, to take second or third place behind something more important......like grandchildren, old dogs, vintage cars etc, etc.

It's also most frustrating when you try to tell another "non tinnitus blessed" person just what its like to have this fantastic noise inside your head, keeping you company, entertaining you, 100% of the time.......and they pretend to understand, momentarily, and expect you to get back to normality just as soon as the conversation stops.

I expect, that ALL of you have already heard ALL this before and don't need to hear it ALL again. Anyway....I'm here now and I (almost desperately) hope to gain something from this forum and you never know, I just might be able to contribute something too.

Cheers,
      Rob

• Like Like x 1
    2. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      What kind of vintage cars are we taking about here ? Do you own any?

3. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      Welcome Rob. I wish you weren't here. :)

I understand what you're saying about the t conversation. I usually bring it up, get a funny look from the person I'm talking too, and then I can tell they don't want to talk about it anymore. I don't blame them. I would respond the same way.

The Bofors sounds cool before t, now not so much. :-(

I have nihl from using equipment the past 30 years though I thought wearing hearing protection would be enough. Who knew?

You've found a great place for support. Welcome!

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sundowner
      Surrender

Sundowner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the welcome folks......its much appreciated.

Is it appropriate to talk about old cars here? If so, I have nothing really special in the grand scheme of things, but they're all special to myself, friends and my family.
      1975 Triumph Dolomite Sprint, on the road
      1955 Ford Zephyr Mk1, on the road
      1921 Ford T Tourer, on the road and been in the family since 1964.
      1915 Ford T Speedster (present project, on the road around October)

5. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Cool cars !!
      Must be fun To drive a Model T. I drove a model A once
      Frankly tinnitus is boring There isn't a cure
      Much easier to even fix old cars

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sundowner
      Surrender

Sundowner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for that too. I have always known that there is no cure and have managed to get through all these years by myself.
      Just as soon as I post this reply, I'll log out for the last time and get back to doing my own thing again.
      Cheers,
      Rob

7. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      I was going to reply to your post, but now it appears you won't be here to read it. If you do come back, I could offer a little more optimism than what you just replied to. I'm coming to believe there's almost always "something" that can be done to help improve things somewhat. -- I believe (self) reflexology holds a lot of potential as it seems to be working for me..

All the Best!