Hello

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by jss, Sep 6, 2014.

1. jss
      No Mood

jss Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise anxiety and antidepressants
      I have been aware of this forum for over year now and just have decided to join for support. My like many of us my T is due to exposure to loud music and sounds. I have had severe T for a well over year now and Im in the "have to accept this as reality stage" which is a bit rough. Im barely able to work. Im on anti depressants (remeron) and Xanax to help with the vicious anxiety I'm experiencing. Ive done quite a bit of research and have seen 4 Audiologists 2 ENT's and I have a psychiatrist. I have multiple sounds in my ears including a very high pitched hissing sound that now takes center stage. I just don't know where people find the strength to cope with this...I admire you.

I use my iPhone white noise app during the day to partially mask the high hissing sound at a very low volume.

Thats all I guess.

• Like Like x 2
    2. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
    3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Welcome, JSS! We're glad you've joined us.

Those of us who have had tinnitus for awhile aren't necessarily strong --- it's just that we have no choice. Human beings are adaptable, resilient creatures, and most of us do learn to make the best of the situation we're in. Our brain needs a little time to get used to these new sounds, and once it does, we can cope much better than at the beginning.

I have high-pitched hissing, too, and as Ricky81 says, there are background noise options you can use to mask the hissing sound. In time, you'll most likely find you can sleep without the background sound, but for now, it will really help.

Look around the forum, and you'll find lots of great suggestions and advice, and when there is a tinnitus therapy breakthrough, I believe we'll hear about it here first!

Best wishes and hugs,
      Karen

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jss
      No Mood

jss Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise anxiety and antidepressants
      Thanks for the kind words Karen. I guess Im in the afraid it will get worse state so I'm overprotecting my ears. I find myself using earplugs in situations I shouldn't.... but Im working on that.

Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Ronnieo

Ronnieo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I have tinnitus since the mid. 90 s Am getting hearing aids in the next few weeks Waiting for some check . I'm well habituated but have high freq hearing loss . Audiologist says this will help me . Will let you know . We are resilient !! My T has taken
      Me to some awful places but I'm ok with it . I accept it .

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Peter61

Peter61 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      That's the key... Acceptance. Just accept that T has become a fundamental part of your life. There is life before you got T, and life after you got it. So it's indeed what they call a life changing event. I'm so glad for this forum, because it helps me to handle my T, knowing I'm not alone. I look at it every day, just to ease myself and read about fellow sufferers' experiences. I got T in August 2012, due to an acoustic trauma. It's only now, after two long lonesome years, where I've been to very dark places (thinking about ending my life), that I'm getting kind of at peace with my condition, it's becoming ,,manageable" in a way. When I listen to it, causing it to automatically get louder, it doesn't give me a feeling of fear anymore. I just know that it's the old buzz again, that has been there for the past 700+ days and nights. Nothing to be worried about, just same old shit.

• Like Like x 2