Help Please, Did Valsalva Manoeuvre and a Whistling Noise Started

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tommurphy345, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Tommurphy345

Tommurphy345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      I just did the valsalva manoeuvre and after I did it a whistling noise has started and won't go away, has anyone had this before?

It's loud and very distracting

2. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Hi, I met a girl once when I had T and she went diving and her ear popped ... it lasted a few weeks but than in the end it went ... she was very lucky ... it could happen to you too ... I was afraid for her.

we still don`t know why the hell would this sound start?? that is a major question ...

I wonder if this would be a good time for you to immidiately start a small course of Trobalt to interupt the T signal ...

anyone else have an idea??

@Danny Boy @attheedgeofscience @linearb @Markku ?

Would be a great test to be honest ...

See the best ENT in town (skip the doctor) !! ask for a decompression tank asap ... ask questions till they kick you out ;)

and never blow your nose closing two holes, only one!

• Creative Creative x 1
    3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If it were me, I'd go see an ENT or even an ER to get their opinion; I would also try to relax about it because I'd think that the likely scenario is that this caused a slight barotrauma, and despite the occasional horror story, as far as I know problems following barotrauma tend to be self-limiting and of relatively short duration (hours to days).

Barotrauma following airplane descent is very common, and I personally know a number of people who have had this problem at some point. With the exception of two people from this forum, I don't know anyone who's had permanent issues as a result. (I do have a friend with long-standing tinnitus who just had a serious diving accident which could have killed him, and has said that his tinnitus is now much more significant -- but the accident just happened two weeks ago, so it's pretty early to leap to any conclusions. In any case, the pressure you're subjected to in a dive accident is likely to dramatically exceed what you're going to do to yourself blowing your nose).

Think about it this way: billions of people blow their nose every day. If it were not incredibly unlikely for this to lead to long-term complications, there would be advisories about it.

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eh, this doesn't seem very mysterious to me; there is a lot of information available.
      http://advancedotolaryngology.com/patient-education/ear-barotrauma/
      http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/water-sports/how-long-does-barotrauma-last.htm
      http://londondivingchamber.co.uk/index.php?id=advice&page=6&cat=6&sub_cat=42

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tommurphy345

Tommurphy345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      The noise seems to have stopped now luckily. But my ear makes a crackling noise each time I swallow which is alarming and my left ear won't pop and feels asif it's stuck shut