Help, Sudden Hearing Loss with Cough / Sinus Inflammation

Discussion in 'Support' started by mick1987, Aug 13, 2015.

1. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi guys, I have had moderate/severe tinnitus for 2 years from sensorineural hearing loss in industry. I got used to it after a year or so and went back to quieter work.

All was going well until a few days ago. I had a bad cough infection for a few weeks, which clogged my sinuses over the last few days too. Woke up 2 days ago with sudden extra hearing loss in my bad right ear and my tinnitus greatly increased.

Saw a random GP (mine had since retired) who prescribed Cephalexin antibiotic for next 5 days and said hearing should go back to normal after infection subsides.

That's fine, and may be the case, but I need to hedge my bets here. Is there anything else I should be doing right now to prevent risk of permanent hearing loss, permanent increase of tinnitus? Its been two days and I still feel much 'deafer' than normal...

Should I present myself to an ENT for immediate hearing test, checkup, steroids, anti-virals? Please suggest anything you think. I have read time is of the essence for hearing loss like this?

2. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think it's just a problem in your ear due to your cold or possible labyrinthitis. Hopefully once you're over it, it should clear up.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Just an update if anyone was interested. Turns out my sinuses were very blocked too probably due to allergy, as things settled down my hearing came back on line and tinnitus also dropped back to normal.

My hearing slowly came back over the period of a week, with a few days up and down, any days my sinuses felt worse, my hearing and tinnitus would worsen, until about a week ago most of my hearing and tinnitus is back to normal again. Thank heaven.

However sinuses are still a bit blocked and a new problem is sudden sensitivity to loud sounds the last 3 days (e.g., washing plates, dropping things on floor, closing doors, someone coughing). No pain but intense irritation and sudden burst of adrenaline when I hear them. I am afraid of sounds today and quite worried.

Hoping this is one of two things:

1. Sinus problem/virus still hanging on and its latest stage is causing this sensitivity.
      2. Hearing coming back fully the last week has made me more sensitive to sound, hopefully temporarily.

Incidentally my mother who is visiting just coughed loudly next to me, and I nearly jumped out of the chair with the shock of the noise!

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi mick1987,

Your ears should settle down and just getting used to hearing again after being blocked.

Try steam inhalation and towel and bowel of hot water twice a day for two days and should clear any mucous in your tubes and sinuses...

lots of love glynis