Help...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Rich, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Rich

Rich Member

Tinnitus Since:
      few years i think
      Hi my name is Rich. I'm 19 and I just realized I have tinnitus. I'm not a very stable person. I have depression, anxiety, OCD, eating disorder, suicidal, and I guess now tinnitus. I have been a mess since. I haven't been able to accept that its my fault. abusing my hearing listening to loud music and playing the guitar. It's my fault! It;s my fault and now I feel like this is the last draw. I just havent been able to calm down for the last couple days. I know its uncureable and I'm freaking out. Don't know what to do. I need to see a doc but the thought of having this forver is making me want to give up.

I know this sounds all grim but if you saw me now you'd see the desperation. I need help. I don't know how else to put it.

2. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Hi Rich and Welcome!

We are a supportive group. This is a good start for you. Hang in there .... WE care!

What have you been doing if anything for your other emotional conditions? Some drugs actually cause tinnitus. Can you list them? We will let you know if they are a possible cause for your tinnitus.

3. Emma

Emma Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I sent you a "private message" please check your inbox. Tinnitus can be caused by many things- even a vitamin b12 deficiency. B12 shots can helpc with that. Dont freak out. Have you haad a hearing test- how do you know the tinnitus is caused by loud music?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rich

Rich Member

Tinnitus Since:
      few years i think
      I wont lie. I havent been to a hearing doctor yet and no one has said to me, YOU HAVE TINNITUS. but its just one of those things you know. I have had ringing in my ears for I guess years but it was always so minimal never thought much of it. about two days ago suddenly I feel its gotten louder and my ears kinda hurt. irratation. i think it was because a couple day prior I was once again using headphones louder then I should have and I think thats what did it. It was just that last draw. I've been listening to loud music for years so thats why I think this is what it is. ugh.... every time I swallow my ears like pop. I dont need another torture device.but the worst thing it once again, its my fault.

@calin The only drug I'm on is Zoloft since January. 50mg. I hardly drink and havent had any caffine in awhile. i just drink water and pineapple juice. I personally can only think of one thing that could have done this to my ears and thats headphone usage.

5. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I see. thanks.

Di you look up the side effects of zoloft yet for tinnitus?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rich

Rich Member

Tinnitus Since:
      few years i think
      I actually have and I'm stopping my dosage. My pescriber is saying it should go away in a few days but at the same time I'm also showing other uncommon symtoms of sorts. I'm not sure if this is a mix of things and I am going to an ea rdoctor to get down to the details on what could be causing this damn ringing and irratation.

7. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      ok then... You are in control of that part at least.

Let us know what the ear doc says! ok?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rich

Rich Member

Tinnitus Since:
      few years i think
      I will. Thank you.

9. topaz

topaz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      One of the best ways to cope with tinnitus is to find some type of white noise that brings you relief. I use the Moses-Lang cd from the Oregon Tinnitus Center (503.494.7954). It is the only white noise I've found with high pitches, and that's what masks my tinnitus.

I think it is a good idea to take some type of benzodiazepene, such as Xanax, until you have a handle on things. Also, Ambien is good for helping to sleep. I have been taking it for years.

I know it's hard to stop blaming yourself, many of us on this site feel we've done something to cause our tinnitus, but self-blame makes anxiety worse. Self-kindness is the best medicine.

The initial stage is always the hardest. It will get much better.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rich

Rich Member

Tinnitus Since:
      few years i think
      Ok well... update on little ol me. I went to the ear doctor today or well yesterday cause it's morning now. (haven't slept... nerves) This is the third doctor I've seen since this crazy sudden Tinnitus scare. The first two doc's (the one from the ER and my clinicianal doctor) saw no issues or damage in my ears with a otoscope. Well the ear doctor saw nothing as well. This made getting a hearing test a must. My ear doctor was able to set me up to have a hearing test the same day, today. The results were interesting considering... My hearing is apperently "excellent." No hearing or inside ear damage from the three tests that they did for my overall hearing test. Great news of course but this once again asks the question, why do I have ringing and ear irratation? Even my ear doctor doesn't really know. The best bet we have is once again the Zoloft. I've been off it now for a little less then a week so apperently I need to give it a few more weeks to get the Zoloft out of my system then see what happens. If it doesn't go away then he recommended I see a neurologist. Now I have my thoughts on what's gonna happen next and well, I'm not thinking very positive. It's like I cant be please my thoughts.

So for anyone that has the knowledge to answer, is it possible to have Tinnitus but not have hearing loss or damage? Now obviously when I mean Tinnitus I mean more then just a night at a concert.

11. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Yes it is possible to have tinnitus without hearing loss.

e.g.

Noise-induced tinnitus: a comparison between four clinical groups without apparent hearing loss.

Abstract
      The number of people with normal hearing thresholds seeking medical help for tinnitus and other hearing problems is increasing. For diagnostic purposes, existence/nonexistence of lesions or combinations of lesions in the inner ear not reflected in the audiogram was evaluated with advanced hearing tests applied to tinnitus patients with certain backgrounds, including noise exposure. For forty-six patients with pronounced tinnitus, and other symptoms, tentative diagnoses were established, including judgments of the influence of four causative factors: (1) acoustic trauma, (2) music, (3) suspected hereditary, and (4) nonauditory, for example, stress or muscular tension. They were analyzed with a test battery sensitive to lesions involving the outer hair cells, damage from impulse noise, and dysfunction of the efferent system. There were significant differences in test results between groups with individuals with the same most likely causative factor. Most patients claiming acoustic trauma had a specific type of result, 'hyper-PMTF' (psychoacoustical modulation transfer function), and abnormal test results of the efferent system. Everyone in the hereditary group had dysfunction of the efferent system. All patients working with music, except one, had some abnormality, but without specific pattern. The nonauditory group mostly had normal test results. The investigation shows that it is possible to diagnose minor cochlear lesions as well as dysfunction of the efferent system, which might be causing the tinnitus. Those abnormalities could not be detected with routine audiological tests. Malfunctioning caused by impulse noise is an obvious example of this. These findings facilitate choice of treatment, rehabilitation programs, and medicolegal decisions.

Tinnitus in individuals without hearing loss and its relationship with temporomandibular dysfunction.

Abstract
      Research has shown that dysfunction of the temporomandibular joint is often associated with tinnitus.

AIM:
      To characterize tinnitus in individuals with normal hearing and search for a possible relationship with Temporomandibular Disorders (TMD). Study design: prospective and cross-sectional.

MATERIALS AND METHODS:
      The participants included 20 adults of both genders with tinnitus and normal hearing thresholds on audiometry. We studied tinnitus psychoacoustic characteristics and employed the checklist of TMD signs and symptoms from the Tinnitus Handicap Inventory (THI).

RESULTS:
      The high pitch, continuous and bilateral tinnitus was the most frequent. Upon acuphenometry, the average tinnitus pitch reported by the subjects was 8.6 kHz and the average loudness was 14.1 dBSL. The degree of discomfort caused by tinnitus was mild. We observed that the higher the pitch, the lower was the loudness and the higher was the THI score. We found that 90% of the patients had at least one TMD sign or symptom.

CONCLUSIONS:
      The most common was the high pitch, continuous and bilateral tinnitus; 90% of patients had at least one sign or symptom of TMD and there was no correlation between the tinnitus and acuphenometry, THI and the TMD checklist.

High-frequency tinnitus without hearing loss does not mean absence of deafferentation

Abstract
      A broad consensus within the neuroscience of tinnitus holds that this audiologic condition is triggered by central deafferentation, mostly due to cochlear damage. The absence of audiometrically detectable hearing loss however poses a challenge to this rather generalizing assumption. The aim of this study was therefore to scrutinize cochlear functioning in a sample of tinnitus subjects audiometrically matched to a normal hearing control group. Two tests were applied: the Threshold Equalizing Noise (TEN) test and a pitch scaling task. To perform well on both tasks relatively normal functioning of inner hair cells is a requirement. In the TEN test the tinnitus group revealed a circumscribed increment of thresholds partially overlapping with the tinnitus spectrum. Abnormal slopes were observed in the pitch scaling task which indicated that tinnitus subjects, when presented with a high-frequency stimulus, relied heavily on input derived from lower-frequency inner hair cells (off-frequency listening). In total both results argue for the presence of a deafferentation also in tinnitus subjects with audiometrically normal thresholds and therefore favour the deafferentation assumption posed by most neuroscientific theories.

Basically usually tinnitus is accompanied by at least some degree of hearing loss, but not always.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rich

Rich Member

Tinnitus Since:
      few years i think
      Thanks Head Honcho. Just wanted to say thanks now cause this will take me awhile to comprehend it without my mind clouding my judgement. Not just read it.

13. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I didn't even try to comprehend it all myself, I just wanted to look up a couple of studies confirming that it's possible to have tinnitus without hearing loss :sick:

A peculiar symptom tinnitus is. Dozens of underlying causes and sometimes it's a complete mystery where it comes from. Ugh.

14. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Rich,
      I just Googled "Zoloft and tinnitus", and there is a connection. One doctor said that Zoloft can cause tinnitus "in some people". He suggested that the person ask their doctor for another drug instead.

On another forum, a person said that after she started taking Zoloft, her tinnitus was improved! So, it very much depends on the person. Some drugs are ototoxic for some people. You might just want to ask your doctor for a different anxiety drug.

15. Lisa Lindel

Lisa Lindel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2012
      Markko,
      I'm trying to forgive myself for getting tinnitus. I blame myself many times. I have bipolar disorder since I was a teenager but it wasn't diagnosed until I was in my thirties. When I was in my mixed state I would crank up the music. I also worked in noisy work environment. Just recently listening to my son's drumming. I was in a depression for two years. The loud noises didn't bother me for some reason. I kick myself all the time for not protecting my hearing. I really thought his closed door would be okay but I was wrong. I also thought I was not going to be affected by loud noises. Inorder to have peace of mind I have to forgive myself for what happen. I can't control my illness and unfortunately I had some scrapes along the way. I try to look on the bright side. I have a intact marriage, I have two wonderful grown children and they love me very much. I am still needed in their lives. I didn't get myself into terrible debt during my manic episodes. What is worst? Money problems or tinnitus? Learn how to love one self and keep living life to the max. I'm not going to limit myself to enjoy life. Count your blessings and have a good time. :)