Hi from New Member...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Adam Day, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Adam Day

Adam Day Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car air bag deployment
      Hello, Adam here.

In the early morning of Nov 2008 I was driving from Los Angeles to the Bay area to visit my son for the weekend and hit a road hazard (big rig wheel) at the top of the 'Grapevine'. It was dark and foggy and I was not going very fast (~50-55 mph) due to conditions. I was driving a 1995 Toyota Corolla at the time. The airbags deployed which caused 80% hearing loss in my left ear, severe tinnitus and ~20% hearing loss in my right ear with mild tinnitus. As it's a physical trauma I don;t think much can be done. My understanding is that the high SPL broke the small hairs in the cochlea which permanently turned on particular frequencies.

I have tried a number of things including: steroid treatments, acupuncture, supplements, but nothing has improved the issues. I've learned to just accept and deal with it, but I'd love to know if anything could help. Seems like stem cell therapy would be the best option.

At this time I would like to know if I can check the disabled box on job applications... Seems like it would include me in the diversity pool.

Cheers!

Adam

2. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      This is really horrible - most of my my cars have no airbags and just one has but I wear my biggest earmuffs in it at all times .

I plan on removing both airbags myself since all the auto shops refused to do it for whatever stupid reason

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Adam Day

Adam Day Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car air bag deployment
      I did my degree in Audio and Music Technology so I kinda had to abandon the idea of working in that industry altogether... SUCKS!

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Adam Day ,
      Yes I would tick the box as you have tinnitus and hearing disability.
      If in the UK might get a free bus pass too...lots of love glynis

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Adam Day

Adam Day Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car air bag deployment
      I'm in the Seattle area (Washington state, USA).