HOLY SHIT BATMAN

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jeffrey F, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Jeffrey F
      Dreaming

Jeffrey F Member

My tinnitus has spiked from a 4 to an 11 out of 10 following five days of taking 20mg of nortryptiline (a tricyclic antidepressant I took for nerve pain)

Literally have not been able to sleep, work, do anything! am mentally more battered than I have ever been before in my life

Im obviously stopping now that I have correlated it to the drugs... but has anyone had this experience before? and does it go away when you stop the drugs?

2. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Nortriptyline usually works pretty good for tinnitus. Dry mouth is the problem with that med. Check with the Boy Wonder maybe?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jeffrey F
      Dreaming

Jeffrey F Member

Are you sure? I looked online and I found under side effects for nortriptyline that "tinnitus" was there.
      Anyhow I am nearly 100% sure its what has caused the crazy spike, as I have changed nothing else during the last 5 days.

4. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have taken Nortriptyline 25mg many times. I didn't know it came in 20mg? Like I said dry mouth can be bad but maybe at higher doses. I was thinking of trying it again for my noise.

5. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gabapentin is often used for nerve pain. You could substitute for that possibly? I take GP for nerve pain and tinnitus.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jeffrey F
      Dreaming

Jeffrey F Member

Cool thanks for the recommendation I will look into it!

7. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      My neurotologist prescribed me nortriptyline when my tinnitus first started, but it had no effect on me. I was on a small dosage though and don't recall the amount. After a couple months of being on it every day, I gave it up.

I do recall reading tinnitus as a side effect and that it should go away sometime after you stop the medication.

-Mike

• Like Like x 1
    8. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Hey, did your tinnitus ever calm down? That is terrible because I was thinking if things ever got worse that medicine was one of my back up medicines to try.