Hormonal Related Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Natalie Roberts, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      Ladies, I am noticing an increase in the volume of my tinnitus and increased sensitivity in the 3 days leading up to my menstrual cycle.

Once I start, it generally returns to normal levels. Noticing this for a few months now. Interesting for me because my T started during late pregnancy when my hormones were crazy anyway..

Wonder if there's a correlation. Anyone else?

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Definitely Natalie....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. Heather Burgoon

Heather Burgoon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown as of 11/16/2016
      I believe there is a connection. I gave birth in April, and have had ear issues since. I had a very bad cold during the pregnancy and feel that it never truly cleared up. the relaxin hormone gave me SPD, my TMJ was fine up until now. I'm still nursing around the clock and have lost a ton of weight. I read an article today that linked T and pregnancy. I haven't had my period since I got pregnant but when I do I'll report if there's an increase in volume.

I'm having a very good T day, crossing my fingers for good sleep tonight.

4. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Natalie!
      My T started 1 month after giving birth to twins. I wonder if hormones played a part in me getting the T. I had PUPPPS (worst itchy rash I have ever had) which is hormonal and took weeks after birth to clear up.
      My T is up and down since, even after getting my first cycle back recently.... I can't see any link with mine....
      Sam x

5. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      There are a number of people whose tinnitus is affected by all sorts of physiological changes, including hormones. It is poorly understood, but surprisingly common.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I got my T in late pregnancy, a year ago. I am also still nursing my 10 month old. My T fluctuates quite a bit. I am always looking for an explanation and don't know that I will ever just accept it and give up hope they there is better treatment :(. I have read many articles saying T and pregnancy are related and sometimes it goes away sometimes it doesn't. I've been told after hormones regulate after you stop nursing (6 months after) it could improve, but I've had mine so long now I don't think it's just going away. I also have TMJ but haven't noticed a correlation between the two.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      D
      I absolutely think hormones play a part. If they could somehow measure our hormones throughout the month in comparison to our T maybe there could be a correlation .. my T is also completely random and fluctuates quite a bit even day to day but it is absolutely worse 2-3 days before my period and then during my period it's moderate then drops way low again after my cycle. It took me a year to see the correlation due to pregnancy and nursing (I still am nursing now). I've had my T over a year now.

8. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Natalie Roberts
      I agree with you in that I don't want to accept this..... mine fluctuates a lot even within the day! Surely there will be some sort of treatment at some stage.
      Last Sunday my tinnitus was silent! I took my dog for a walk / run and when I sat down to relax afterwards it was loud (for me anyway). Yesterday after our walk, it hadn't fluctuated at all.... I never know what what I'm going to get minute to minute. I know I really need to stop monitoring it.
      I am still nursing the twins as well though my supply has dropped off quite a bit.
      The twins are nearly 5 months now.
      I wonder if going on the Pill would help?

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. hartje5
      Wishful

hartje5 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Verapamil, Flecainide, Apixaban, stress
      My T. started three day before my menstrual cycle. From a 1 to a 10. In one night. Definitely hormone related.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know if birth control would help. I use paraguard so it's non-hormonal. I am nearing the end of my cycle so my T has dropped way down again . I am so hoping once I stop nursing and all my hormones regulate the T will away or st least stabilize.

I am going to bring it up to my OBGYN and see if there's a way they can check my hormone levels throughout the month. If there is a problem with hormone levels, maybe it can be treated.

11. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      I also notice an increase in volume before my period and sometimes during and after. I always get a bit freaked out but now I am getting used to it. I only use a copper spiral so no extra hormones added beside the "natural" ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Iluvsaturdays

Iluvsaturdays Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      8 poSible causes
      Today I am thinking my T might be hormone related- i am at that age of change. However everyone other day I have a new theory of what caused my t.
      Yesterday is was a shoulder injury from 2 years ago
      Three days ago I thought it was the antibiotics last year

• Like Like x 1