Horrendous Spike for a Month — Can a Manual Ear Cleaning Have Done Any More Damage?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Scott T, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Scott T
      Alone

Scott T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax removal?
      My tinnitus has had this horrendous spike for a month now.

And I hear it in the other ear and in my head as well.

Went to an ENT on Friday and he cleaned out the wax with a loop instead of microsuction, latter of which put me into this current hell that I have been in for well over a year.

Can a manual ear cleaning have done anymore damage?

Will this spike ever go down? Everyone is different so I just wish I had some hope for better days.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Scott T

Whether a person has: microsuction, ear irrgation or manual removal of earwax, it is important to apply olive oil eardrops to each ear 3 times a day for 7 to 10 days before the procedure. If this is not done there is a risk of developing tinnitus or making tinnitus that is already present worse. Please remember this is a medical procedure although a minor one, there is still a risk of something going wrong. I have had microsuction 3 times and ear irrigation 3 times without any problems. I used olive oil eardrops as discribed above. People have contacted me that have had:mircrosuction, ear irrigation and manual removal of earwax, and haven't used eardops to loosen the wax for 7 to 10 days and then had problems. Either devolping tinnitus for those that didn't have it before. Or making it worse for those that have already got it.

Michael

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Scott T
      Alone

Scott T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax removal?

Yes, my earwax was extremely soft and it was not impacted

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If you haven't been listening to music through headphones or going to places where loud music is played, clubs or being exposed to other loud sounds. Then it could be due to the way the person removed the earwax although there is no way of proving this.

Hope the tinnitus calms down for you soon.
      All the best
      Michael