How Do Folk Handle Unexpected Loud Noises?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tweaker, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I haven't yet learnt how to deal with the anxiety and distress that I get when exposed to a loud noise unexpectedly. By loud noise, I mean a firework (firecracker), ambulance siren, fire alarm, horn, etc.
      I was on holiday

last week. My tinnitus was slightly better as I was relaxed. I went for an evening walk with my brother when a public display of fireworks (I knew nothing about) started.

Fortunately I was only about 2 minutes from the apartment, so I covered my ears and walked briskly back. But that night I felt distressed and didn't get to sleep until about 5am. I was worried the fireworks could have caused further damage.

On the way home from holiday, I was on the ferry, outside, right at the front, about no more than 10 meters from the foghorn when it blasted. Again, I felt a sense of anxiety about it.

These events catch us off guard and unless we never leave our homes, we will always have these things happen. How do folk handle this kind of thing?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Tweaker
      My advice to you is to make an effort and go out each day for 30mins or longer and get used to normal everyday sounds in the environment. This will help desensitse your auditory system and help with any stress that you have. Use sound enrichment at night, using a sound machine. Please click on my "started threads" and read my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View. There are other posts in the list that you might find helpful.
      All the best
      Michael

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tweaker
      Transparent

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Michael
      I don't view the sounds I mentioned as common everyday sounds as I am not exposed to them every day in my normal working life. The sounds that cause me anxiety are sounds that are typically over 100 decibels. I just wish I didn't react as badly to them, as there is nothing I can do about these events.

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You may need the help of a hearing therapist for counselling. Ask your GP to refer you to ENT or Audiology.
      All the best
      Michael

5. Pomme
      Crappy

Pomme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts and Stress
      @Tweaker I agree. The whole dealing with anxiety problem is a mine field. I wish I knew the correct answer but all we can do is manage this on a day by day basis. I feel like I am on high alert every second of the day. It is exhausting. I will be watching this thread closely for tips.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Ditto! I feel like I'm constantly on high alert and it's absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to avoid these incidents unless we plug 24/7 which isn't wise or realistic!! I think this is such a cruel and challenging condition. I try to relax in coffee shops etc then someone drops a cup or the blender goes off. I find it very challenging and frustrating. Sorry, not much of a helpful post x

7. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I find that cussing a few good "bad" words helps. And then kick something like a wall.....:arghh:

Really though - we can do nothing about these unexpected noises and we cannot say housebound afraid of that type of exposure.

• Funny Funny x 1
    8. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      Hot baths, painkillers, praying, benzos, waiting :barefoot::barefoot::barefoot::barefoot::barefoot::barefoot::barefoot::barefoot:

9. Pomme
      Crappy

Pomme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts and Stress
      @Tweaker Have you noticed a change in your tinnitus level since these events occurred ? If your tinnitus hasn't increased then maybe that should give you some reassurance if it happens again and keep anxiety levels down. I know that's easier said than done as it's the unpredictability of tinnitus that haunts us every day :mad:

10. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      You cannot stay in your house 24-7. Live your life, things happen in life.
      I live my life. An incident might happen, but that's the keyword "might". I will not worry about possible sounds/situations that might happen. This type of stress, really doesn't help with tinnitus at all.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. Dmitriy
      Relaxed

Dmitriy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot Exposure
      Loud sounds are just hard to control. I have ear plugs in my car - in case plans change and we go to loud restaurant or something. The ear plugs I bought have a tiny carry case that you can easily have on you at all time.

Otherwise, not much you can do. Cover you ears as soon as you can and try to leave the place where loud sounds are occurring. I also think that my avoidance of loud sounds is more psychological now. I don't think they have a more immediate impact on me then anyone else.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tweaker
      Transparent

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Yes tinnitus worsened but it could be related to the stress of the events as much as the sounds themselves.

13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Whenever I am outside of my home, I wear earplugs. I also carry Peltor earmuffs with me everywhere I go. If a fire alarm is set off, it will only take a second to slip them on.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @Bill Bauer , I am going to take earmuffs when I go to the mall. I do take ear plugs but as you said earmuffs will be easy to put on .
      Chances of fire Alaram going off is very very low but I am so scared of getting permanent spike . I don't think this will require much effort . I mostly go with wifey so she will carry it in her purse and if I am by myself I will have ear plugs with me which takes 4-5 seconds to wear but atleast I will not be exposed to few minutes . I wish they made ultra thin ear muffs which would fit in jeans so I can carry it when I am alone .
      I have spike because of loud car . I thought spike went away but T has been loud all day . I should have had my hearos plugs ! I feel like an idiot for not having it on me.

• Like Like x 1