How Do I Know If I Imagine Tinnitus or Not?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Alex Brussel, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Alex Brussel

Alex Brussel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accidental self-afflicted blow
      So I made a thread here a few days ago where I said that following a mild self inflicted blow to the left ear, I woke up with ringing and was concerned about tinnitus.

Well, now it's a bit different. Now I'm not sure if this episode scared me and made me imagine things even after the actual ringing from the hit disappeared.

Why do I think it may be imaginary? First, I don't notice it at all when I am doing everyday stuff, it's only when I go to bed and it's really quiet that I hear the noise.

AND, even more curiously, it's in both the left and right ear now, but I never hit the right ear. Some times, when I focus on things such as YT videos while in bed I also don't notice.

This is kind of driving me mad, not knowing for certain. I also try to put fingers in ears to see if I hear a noise then, and some times I do while other times I can't really tell.

Other than that, I do notice that some times when I do this, the ears get painful, as if I have an infection. Could the infection be the answer?

Full of questions here, just need some clarification from people who have personal experience with this. I don't know what to think. I mean, it's not like I am a party goer or did anything crazy with my ears - except that time when I was a kid and attended a wedding where the music was so loud that you could feel every word hit your chest.

That was so insane, but so many years ago. Also I don't think I have hearing loss, I hear like an eagle compared to others around me. First to hear distant phone vibrations, low tone talks in a closed room and such. Don't think I have hearing loss.

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Go to an ENT doc to get your ears checked.
      If your T is so mild that you are wondering if you are imagining it, then I suggest you stop looking for the answer. The more you focus on it the more you could be "imagining it". It's not bothering you during the day, so let it go, and put a fan at night if it helps you drown it.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mixing music for long and too loud.
      If you think you are crazy, you most likely are not. If you think you imagine a sound, you most likely don't.

4. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I think I'm crazy and I know I am.

• Funny Funny x 2