How Do You Enjoy Holidays?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Wendy A, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Wendy A

Wendy A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      Hi,

only had this nightmare for 3 plus months and meant to be going away in just over a week on a plane so that scares me but also I'm so depressed with it I'm not sure I could even enjoy myself, how does everyone else find going away with new tinnitus?

thanks

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Wendy ,
      Tinnitus comes with unwanted emotions and as easy to become depressed and there is help for it .
      Learning to cope with the sound and lack of sleep ,social and emotional and physical day to day things with tinnitus is hard at first but it does improve in time .
      On bad days it's easy to get low but best to push to try enjoy the day and be proud you got through it ....lol .
      Try remember we have no control over tinnitus but in total control of what makes us happy.
      Ask your doctor about medication and talking therapy and don't feel ashamed of it as its really helpful.
      Flying might spike your tinnitus for a day but usually ok as the sound of the engines help mask tinnitus and the holiday pleasure will soon take hold and you won't give your tinnitus a second thought ....
      I'm happy post more to you on feelings and support you....take care, lol glynis x

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wendy A

Wendy A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      thank you for your reply,did take remeron but was making it louder so had to stop after 3 weeks and have been hit with even worse t due to withdrawal side effects,so to scared now to take anything else,so now trying to do it on my own but its hard ,i do want to go on this holiday with my son and his girlfriend as its for a wedding but scared of the flight and being depressed out there and ruining it for everyone.they go a week wednesday so havent long to pluck up the courage xx

4. SteveSkis92
      Dumb

SteveSkis92 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity from Electronic Cigarettes (Propylene Glycol)
      Hey @Wendy A, so sorry to hear you're having a hard time of things right now. I am only at month 9 with intrusive T, but I remember how much worse the initial days were. I'm still far from having this all "under control" but I'm doing better than I was....

In June, I drove from Virginia all the way to Colorado for my cousin's wedding. In the weeks before this trip, I was feeling exactly how you are.....nervous, anxious, feeling like I won't be able to enjoy the trip at all, but I was totally wrong. Were there times when my T came to mind? Yes. Were there times when I got down on myself about all of it? Yes. Did the good times on that vacation outweigh the bad? YES!

I understand how you're feeling right now, I really do. It's hard to imagine going out and enjoying anything with T at first, but it's still possible! Getting out of town and going for a change of scenery could do a lot of good for your mindset right now!

I'll also say, that for me personally, going on that trip helped me realize that I can still go out and live a life. There are still good times out there, and there are still lots of things to smile about!

I understand how difficult it is to realize this, I really really do. I still have my bad days, but things will keep getting better, and I really think a trip could help speed up the process....

Let us know how it goes! You're going to have a great time!

Hang in there!
      -Steve

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wendy A

Wendy A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      Thanks for the reply, i think the flight is scaring me most as its changes a lot in sounds and im scared it will change again and be worse ,i also know if i dont go it will be yet another holiday its cost me, i was meant to go in july and cancelled because of the flight,and i love my holidays or i used to love them before this ,i need something for depression i think but not a drug,any ideas? thanks again

6. SteveSkis92
      Dumb

SteveSkis92 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity from Electronic Cigarettes (Propylene Glycol)
      @Wendy A As far as natural anti-depressants, exercise is going to be your best friend. Any form of physical activity to get some good endorphins flowing is going to help you in the short and long term.

And as far as the flight goes, I think that if you do a little searching on this forum you'll find that LOTS of people here have flown with T with no problems what so ever. You may want to ask around a bit, but I think either foam plugs or ear muffs would help if you feel you need them, but I think you'd be fine without.

Take care!
      -Steve

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Wendy ,
      Exercise and lots if fresh air and talking therapy helps also.
      MIND can give you ten free 50 minute sessions and can ring them yourself with out a doctor referral .They help greatly with anxiety and depression. ..lol glynis

8. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      I would say holidays will be your best treatment and AD . Don't worry about flying, unless you're about to fly for 10 - 15 hours ? Read the threads which deal with flying, all has been said. Globally , no worries. Think that here on TT we gather probably the most extreme cases and almost everyone is ok after flying. I was afraid myself too but I took a plane twice and it was ok, nothing happens but I took all the precautions suggested. In a week I'm about to go on holidays and T can go ... scratch itself. There are such beautiful places on earth that there is no way I wouldn't appreciate it because of this crappy ailment. I'm going to Sicily and you :)?

• Like Like x 1
    9. MonkLN
      Sunshine

MonkLN Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04-2014
      Just go and enjoy, i had the same fear a few weeks ago. I enjoyed my holiday to the max. At the end i had some less days, but overall it was nice and i enjoyed it alot.

10. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      I'm back from two weeks in Turkey. Great place, took the plane like 6 times as i had changes and internal flights... nothing happened during the flight and i didn't hear my tinnitus for like 10 days because i was so busy visiting, eating, drinking and having relaxed time at the beach ! Now i'm back at work and i can hear it, it's annoying but well, working is annoying too... ;)

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wendy A

Wendy A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      Hi thanks ,meant to be going to Rhodes but im still in the depression stage and nervous stage ,though i do want to go but never thought when i booked i would be going with this x

12. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      OMG, Greece ! My next on 'to visit' list ..:) Please, go and have fun..I'm sure it will be a theraphy. If you stay at home, you will be depressed. IF you go you give yourself a chance of being better ! IT's a bit up to you to decide if you still want to live your life or let T ruin it completely. T can actually help you appreciate things even more..by contrast. At least that's how it works for me. I think that many worse things can happen to me still later in life, so if I allow T take all the joy of life already now, I may as well lay in a coffin already. You have nothing to lose if you go, but you sure can win sth.

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wendy A

Wendy A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      im trying to pluck up the courage ,its just im having terrible withdrawal symptoms as well due to remeron so thats playing on my mind,its like a tightening of my throat which makes t way worse ,its been over 3 weeks didnt think id still be suffering by now x