How Do You Fix Poor Posture?

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by Harris08, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Harris08
      Scared

Harris08 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I think poor posture plays a huge role in my tinnitus, I’m 16, and for past 2 years, I’ve been using a lot of phone, videogames etc. LIKE A LOT. I saw a thread on reddit about it but couldn’t find a lot of info.

How do you fix it, and what are some exercises that will help with it. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      There are ancedotal reports of t improving with spinal adjustments etc. I am not sure about what the research (if there is any) says about this.

You could try veering away from gaming/phone useage, and see if this impacts on your t at all?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Sit up straight with no rounded shoulders and make sure your chair and desk are at the hight for you.
      A rolled up towel or cussion in the arch of your back can help.
      Love glynis

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Seawater7

Seawater7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sit ups, back workouts at home or gym, and sitting up straight, don't let the shoulders slouch forward as much.

Having a strong stomach and back help keep it straight a lot. It helps to find a personal trainer, and if it ever leads to pain a physical therapist is the best help.

5. Christokp

Christokp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Stand with your back against the wall. Flex your back shoulder blade muscles so they touch the wall. Hold for 3 seconds. Do this without using your trap or deltoid muscles. Do this 30x or more a day.

Do chin tucks. Sit up straight. Don' sleep on your stomach. Bring your phone up to your head level instead of looking down at it.

6. Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably a mix of ETD and TMJ
      I would like an answer to this too! My posture is terrible, but trying to stand up straight feels very exhausting for some reason o_O

7. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      An old post from Noise help:

I am the person who wrote about tight neck and shoulder muscles causing tinnitus.

Note that "tinnitus" simply means "ringing". It does not necessarily refer to an ear issue. For me, tight neck and shoulder muscles were causing the ringing, and exercise made it vanish.

Exercises that worked for me:

1) Set palm against the side of head and push head against it gently to create resistance. Feel the muscle on the side of throat tense, thus it is being exercised. Do this on the other side of head as well.

2) Set both palms against forehead and push head against them gently to create resistance. This also exercises neck muscles in the throat area.

3) Set both palms against the back of head and push head gently against them to create resistance. This exercises the muscles in the back of neck.

4) For shoulder muscle exercises, use a dumbbell that is comfortable to lift but also provides some resistance and lift it as if lifting a bucket. Do this as many times as is comfortable.

5) Tilt head back as far as it will go and then open mouth as wide as possible, hold for several seconds, then close mouth into a pucker. This works the muscles beneath the ears as well as the throat.

Repeat these exercises as many times and as often as able to do comfortably. It will take a while, but eventually the ringing should ease as the muscles stretch. Don't give up too early as it does take a while. Note how the muscles in the throat area are directly beneath the ear. Any tightness in these muscles can cause tinnitus. The shoulder exercises are necessary in conjunction with the neck exercises because the shoulder and neck muscles are part of the same chain of muscles and work together.

Good luck. I hope everyone who reads this is helped by these exercises as much as I was.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      An old post from Reddit:

[–]computerguy0-0 0 points1 point2 points 16 days ago (0 children)
      I lived with it for years. Doctor after doctor and nothing was wrong with my hearing...IT WAS DRIVING ME NUTS!
      But it's been gone for 5 glorious years now. Do you know what it fucking was? My god damn neck muscles. See a chiro, see a massage therapist, and see a physical therapist. Relax and strengthen those muscle in your neck, get your cervical spine aligned, and bye bye tinitis. Of course, this was just my cause... But it is more common than i thought.
      I got lazy with my neck stretches and developed Bells Palsy in December, another thing caused by misalignment and stiff neck muscles. I am almost back to normal 8 months later, SO KEEP UP WITH THE ROUTINE ONCE THE RINGING GOES AWAY!

9. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      I've been working on my posture since August and one of my more annoying tones has gone away. It has helped to some degree and in the long run it is overall just better to work on it. I've been doing yoga stretches to open it up and using an exercise ball. Have recently introduced weights. If you google it there's plenty of exercises. Or if you see a physical therapist they can suggest some for you.

The hardest part is to keep reminding yourself to stay straight. I've been using a yoga strap as a reminder since posture bras/braces just kill me. It really helps when I'm reading and I also use pillows to prop my arms up to help keep my posture happy.

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      MotivationalDoc on youtube has a lot of videos about this subject.

13 Best Postural Exercises for Forward Head...

I can not confirm the efficacy of his advice and I do not give medical advice, but his forward head posture exercises have helped me with some neck pain.

However I do not find his videos on tinnitus very relevant, and I do not find improving my posture improves my tinnitus, but if yours is then good luck on continuing to improve!

11. Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably a mix of ETD and TMJ
      I've noticed that I keep pulling my shoulders up. Its a very tense posture I have. And Im almost certain my tinnitus is somehow caused by my back/neck/shoulders/jaw. But because of this, I am terrified to work out. Im so scared of tensing or damaging my neck or back even more that I dont know what kind of work out to do. Seeing how you have similar problems, what kind of work outs would you recommend?

12. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      I sit almost all day due to my professional activity, and I noticed I had problems due to my head being often in a forward position and thus my neck being always tense. And that had an impact on my tinnitus. Last year when I changed my desk chair I chose one with an integrated cushion so that my neck can rest more often - and now I have to less I feel less stiffness in my neck -, this chair actually:

https://www.maison-et-domotique.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/songmics_rcg02g_7.jpg

I also made sure to put my screens on a stand so that they are at my eye level.

Attached Files:

13. Dij111
      Paranoid

Dij111 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure(Fire Alarm, Headphone Usage)
      I'm going to start swimming daily soon, it's really good for working on your back muscles and improving your posture.

14. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      Well physical therapists can actually give you exercises that target that particular problem. I have square shoulders that naturally go up and now I seem to constantly pull them up. Because of pain and my reaction to my T. The main one they give you is to have 1 to 5 lb waits and shrug your shoulders down. AKA shoulder shrugs and stretches. There are lots of youtube videos that show you. Also, yoga. Yoga. Yoga. That targets neck, shoulders, and back. After my accident I used yoga and my T almost went away. (Sadly my jaw popped out and boom all over.)

There are stretches and there's one thing called chin tucks you can look up that are really good for the neck jaw thing. Also, I use a yoga strap to remind me of my posture.

Massage is also something you can add in. Don't be afraid to exercise, but focus on the kind that stretch. That's why yoga can help.

I also discovered that feet alignment is a huge deal with it. Orthodics are very important to help you keep alignment. Because I kept getting lower back pain when I was keep my posture in check. I found some good orthodics and in a week it eased up. Profoot is a good cheaper brand and I highly recommend Vionic shoes and orthodics.

If you want me to pull some videos or links to exercises let me know.

15. John_415

John_415 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I do a stand up desk, that way you don't sit and thus if you stand correctly you have better posture.
      Image of someone's back being straight when standing:
      4a7c3b45-2348-4a40-b753-e72677f8efb6.jpg._CB282442208__SL300__.jpg
      You could btw also DIY by creating a platform for your monitor which I do, costs next to nothing that way.

If you have the funds and the time you could try the Alexander Technique and go for a full coached course on it.
      Its a full change in body posture in everything you do so it gets corrected if there are any movements or postures you do that are or might be bad for the back. Here is a link: https://www.alexandertechnique.com/
      Its very all encompassing but I hear it works.

• Informative Informative x 1
    16. AVas

AVas Member

Squats, deadlifts and pullups will do wonders. I remember first I've started weightlifting squats fixed my posture in a couple of weeks. Reality is that without a strong(er) back it's hard to keep a good posture, especially in sedentary workplaces, even with the best of intentions. Simple as that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      swimming helps to make your back and shoulders stronger, and it contributes to a better posture.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      upload_2019-1-8_8-49-51.png

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      fixing your posture depends on what your postural issues are. flat thoracic spine? anteroir pelvic tilt? posterior pelvic tilt? rotated ribs? thrusted ribs? twisted pelvis?

what is your issue?

long and short your body is a series of rubber bands (muscles) at various tensions that are balanced based on one another. if your shoulders are rounded forward, exercise your lats and triceps and stretch your chest. if your hips are forward, do hamstring curls and squats to get your ass strong.

similary we operate on a "X". If your R hip hurts/is rotated, you need to work on your L shoulder and L calf. Balance is pretty basic physics if ya think about it.

use your phone less. you'll be happier not seeing people's fake lives on social media, not reading about tinnitus on this site, you'll sleep better from less blue light, and your neck will thank you.

20. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What's the full word?

21. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
    22. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      Alexander Technique...

• Agree Agree x 2
    23. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      I was doing similar exercises to this and it didn't help with my tinnitus and gave me pain in the side of my neck because it aggravated my neck problem. Once I get straightened out by my upper cervical chiropractor I need to go back and do this stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      This very good 5-Min. video describes my next project for lower back improvement(s)...

Natural Pelvis Reset

At the 1-minute mark, she mentions how pelvic alignment affects TMJ and neck alignment, both of which can be factors in causing or affecting tinnitus.