How Far Would You Do It without Earplugs?

Discussion in 'Support' started by victoria9273, Jul 26, 2018.

1. victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      I can ride any bus (almost) and can go to the shopping center which causes me discomfort. But I can manage without earplugs. And I seem to build a sound tolerance at certain sounds but not all.

But the thing is that I can't ride the subway and that is a 2 hour-ride on weekly basis. Inside the subway is just too noisy so I'm going to take earplugs on that occasion.

How about you? To what extent would you endure?

• Like Like x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I wouldn't want to endure any discomfort, if I can easily help it.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      I ride subways and it's just loud and there is no need to hear these sounds anyway, even if it wasn't loud !

I don't bother with plugs in and out I just wear ear muffs

• Like Like x 2
    4. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It seems that you only have hyperacusis and no tinnitus.
      Compared to others here, you are lucky !
      A lot of us have both T & H.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      The sentence I wrote seems strange. Anyway, you're so right.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      Thanks for you comment! I really don't want to bother with all this..

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      Yes, I have a very slight tinnitus but it's not intrusive at all for now.. All I focus in this forum is hyperacusis.

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think you meant to convey that you visit the supermarket without any hearing protection. You are doing it to build up tolerance, and to try to be as "normal" as you can. Unfortunately, this causes discomfort.

The way I see it, it makes sense to listen to the signals sent to us by our bodies (e.g., pain, hyperacusis, tinnitus). If you break your arm and it hurts to lift weights now, it doesn't mean that it is a good idea to build up tolerance in order to feel normal again. The best way to eventually get to be normal is to stop doing what gives discomfort or pain to you and let your body heal.

9. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      The onset of my tinnitus was quite severe 22 years ago and so was the hypercusis was extremely acute . So bad that when in conversation with someone I had to ask them to please lower their voice as my ears hurt so much. The hypercusis was cured in two years using white noise generators and sound machine as part of TRT. It has remained so till this day. I have no need use hearing protection for normal everyday sounds but do use earplugs when using power tools for DI Y jobs around my home. I use ear defenders when using my petrol lawn mower and strimmer.

I believe you should carry on as you are doing but advise you against overusing hearing protection, as this can lower the loudness threshold of your auditory system making it more sensitive to sound, and instil in you the belief that you have a problem. This is negative thinking and can prevent you reaching the highest level of recovery with your hyperacusis if you're not careful. Give it time and you will improve more. If you are using sound enrichment at night carry on with it and if you aren't, I advise you to start.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use
      Almost anything. My Hyperacusis is better to the point even dishes don't bother me 90% of the time. Speaking of dishes, I was talking to my mom about my Hyperacusis and I said "I haven't even noticed it at all this past week.". So I went to the silverware and started banging them together. I could barely sense my Hyperacusis. I had to literally focus on the sensation to notice it. I said to my mom "This is the best it's ever been. Wow.". Arguably, it's as if it's gone.

I don't put earplugs on unless I believe situations will be loud, like crossing a busy intersection or a noisy resturaunt (and even then at resturaunts I wear musicians earplugs).

But my advice to you is do what's most comfortable. If you feel fine at the store then don't wear them. If you feel anxious or pain when on the subway, then wear them. Hyperacusis is very speicifcto each person and treatment/coping should be tailored to everyones specific needs.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    11. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Great post @Taylorslay Some people believe tinnitus and hyperacusis cannot be overcome: you, I and many others know this isn't true....

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      I'm really sorry for what you had to gone through. I'm not using earplugs these days but when I go back to school
      I might have to wear them... Not that it bothers much because I'll be instantly getting them out when i'm out of harm.
      For now, as you have recommended, sound enrichment at night is my only hope.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      That is awesome! I'm happy for you that there are rooms for further advances. And your advice gives me infinite strength. I'll keep going on.

• Like Like x 1