How Loud Is Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dishman, Sep 21, 2013.

?

How loud is your tinnitus?

1. Extremely mild, I hear it only in silence and/or when plugging my ears

12 vote(s)
    3.3%
  2. Mild, I hear it in quiet-ish conditions, but most everyday sounds mask it

70 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. Moderate, I almost always hear it, however tv/music/outdoors noise can mask it

154 vote(s)
    42.8%
  4. Intrusive, I hear it always and nearly above everything, barely nothing masks it

119 vote(s)
    33.1%
  5. None of the above matches mine (describe in comments)

5 vote(s)
    1.4%
tinnitus forum
    1. Dishman
      Wishful

Dishman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Is there times during the day in which you do not notice it at all? As we know there are many levels of tinnitus, how loud is yours?

• Like Like x 1
    2. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor Team Awareness

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      When mine started it was so loud not even the trains could mask it. Nothing.

Now its not that loud. If I don't take any meds. I can hear it all the time. If I take Sobril or Stilnoct. It goes completely away.

3. TJPositive
      Fine

TJPositive Member

Tinnitus Since:
      You are truly a remarkable being if you able to tough-out a noise of that magnitude before you were able to find a solution. I feel like a bit of a drama queen now considering my noise doesn't even come close to that. The way I'd describe mine is it's like hearing crickets, though it doesn't sound like them, in a quite environment.

4. meeruf
      Badass

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Hmm. The first days I did not quite understand what was happening. I was just thinking this is something that will go away after some time. Luckily, the mad loud tinnitus went away slowly. Now its like white noise. But if I go out in traffic, it changes to a more high pitch sound. Lucky, I have more and more moments with silent. I hope this will heal. :)

• Like Like x 1
    5. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      If I'm gonna noitce it outside, it has to be very quiet.

Also, If I listen to white noise a lot, somewhat loud, I hear my T VERY clearly straight after, but I suspect this has nothing to do with T, but is kind of the same thing as when a flash goes off in your eyes, you still "see" the flash when you close your eyes.

6. TJPositive
      Fine

TJPositive Member

Tinnitus Since:
      That's because the white noise isn't actually making the noise go away, it's simply masking it. Once the white noise stops and the environment becomes quite the noise becomes apparent again because your brain as nothing else to focus on. I notice this every time I running tap gets turned off. It's very sudden but I always readjust.

7. JTP
      No Mood

JTP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shit happens
      Over TV: check, in car driving on a bad road windows open: check, over busy mall: check ... not in the shower though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Eric
      Balanced

Eric Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2012
      Take the attached mp3 file, which is a Tinnitus sound very similar to mine, put it on an IPad or Iphone with headphones, and put volume at 12 bars, and this is about the minimum volume I get. Sometimes it goes up to mask. Since I have hearing loss, T is pretty much the only thing I hear through my ear.

Attached Files:

9. meeruf
      Badass

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving

I don't understand how you can cope with that kind of volume. Are you sure it is that loud? You say you have a hearing-loss. Maybe that's the reason why it appears so loud on you Ipad? Someone who don't have hearing-loss will hear 12 bars much louder than you.

10. Eric
      Balanced

Eric Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2012
      Well, the way I evaluate he sound level is that i use hearbud in my working right ear and bring the sound level equal to the Level of my T on the left. When I sense equilibrium, It usually is between 12 and 16 bars.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Eric
      Balanced

Eric Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2012
      If you look at my intro post, you migh resd that I suspect that T caused the hearing loss and not the other way around as there was one situation when near a waterfall, I could hear through the T. I have not been able to reproduce these conditions since. It would then make sense that my T is so loud and with such a wide spectrum that it masks all other sounds. It is pretty much like trying to hear through hat recording at 12bars on the Ipad.

12. jes
      Familiar

jes Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      I have a hearinglos and it was terrible.now i use Widex zen 2 go ewery day hearingadd and marsker i got 75%better.
      also sleap better dont know why.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Eric
      Balanced

Eric Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2012

I talked to my ENT about that but since my hearling loss is close to 90 Db from 250Hz and up, he told me the sound would not go through. What kind of hearing loss do you have and what kind of T do you have, a single frequency or large spectrum T?

14. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Very loud, hear it all the time. Above all normal living sounds, constant.. I thought everyone experienced it like this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      How do these drugs help? Looks like it is not popular in the states

16. RAY
      Lurking

RAY Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus in left ear
      Hi mine is constant and is at one tone it is the same as white noise at 4k, I hear mine over driving , the tv and conversations nothing really masks it

Ray
      :meh:

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. meeruf
      Badass

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Sobril is calming and anxiolytic. When I take these, I don't care about my tinnitus.

Stilnoct is sleeping medication. I don't know why, but when I take them, my ringing goes away. I have no idea why. I have discussed this with my doctor. But he have no idea either.

18. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Meeruf and Leah,

I just looked up these drugs. They are the same as drugs commonly prescribed in the U.S.

Sobril is the same thing as benzo drugs such as Valium and Xanax.
      Stilnoct is the same thing as Ambien, a sleep aid drug.

Both of these drugs are known to temporarily quiet tinnitus. These drugs can be addictive if taken regularly for a long period of time.

19. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:

Thanks for the info.

20. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Sounds like mine, I am having a hard time getting used to it.
      Need a break of some kind.

21. erik
      Breezy

erik Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Mine fluctuates and on some days can be louder than most everything I hear. Then on other days can be so low I can barely hear it. Baffling I tell you, baffling. Nevertheless, I used to have 5 out of 7 loud days a week for the first several months, then it slowly improved. I would get 3 good days a week, then 4. Now a year and half later I have 5 good days a week and usually 2 loud on average. I think in most people it does get better with time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. RAY
      Lurking

RAY Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus in left ear
      Hi erik that's good news that your T is decreasing lets hope in another couple of years time it has gone completely

Ray
      :)

23. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      mine in at 4090 hz and roughly about 52 db. before a few weeks ago it was at 48 db, but some noise from dental crown work with the dentist grinder working on my teeth very loud, made it go worse.

24. jes
      Familiar

jes Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      hey eric my hearinglos is in the high tones from about 3000 it goes down.My doc said hearingad was not for me
      but these are open air hearingad and the marsker is fine .remote control gives a good control ot the t.I can recommand these widex zen 22 go. The price in germany 3250 euro i pressed the price.

25. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      Mine is not very loud, but the pitch is so high it can't be masked when i'm alone at home, listening to music.

When i'm having a conversation with someone, or in the street, it's harder to hear so ... :)

26. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Same. Altough usually I can mask it with music and/or pinkwhite noise

27. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Hi every one just wondering how loud is every ones T.

1) can barely hear it in the quite room 2) can hear it in the quite room , but can live without White noise 3)absolutely need white noise in quite room 4) can not hear it in the office or when people around 5) can hear it when people around- at work/ mall etc and 5) its super loud all the time and cant even mask it with white noise.

sorry guys too many options. Mine swings between 2 and 3.

You guys are the best and i find every ones experience so helpful. Just read englishmans post and it was so damn disturbing. I had spike just like him 1 1/2 year ago, but no way i wanted to die or commit suicide. It was able to manage it with white noise though. You all were so supportive it was unbelievable how strangers come through!. Very impressed.

• Like Like x 4
    28. meeruf
      Badass

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Mine was so loud yesterday that the neighbors called the cops.

• Funny Funny x 13
      • Like Like x 4
    29. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Good one Meeruf. Would appreciate if you can post your answer though .thanks

30. meeruf
      Badass

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Sorry! I just had to. I don't know where mine is. Sometimes its quiet/gone. Other times its loud.