How Often Do You Protect Your Ears?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Asian, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      Since the time I got my tinnitus, I have been wondering if I should protect my ears in the normal traffic outside. I have read several posts stating that we shouldnt "overprotect" our ears or else the hyperacusis will get worse or refuse to resolve!

It makes sense to protect my ears in overly crowded events and cinemas, but should I also protect them in the traffic outside. One problem is the unexpected loud honking of the motorbikes and cars which drive me crazy and send me into the panic mode for several hours ( Which makes me perceive T louder ! ) So my question is how often do you protect your ears ?

2. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Never in the traffic. Not needed.

3. Only when bathing my 5 month old boy and he is in a bad mood:bag:. Never in other situations.

• Funny Funny x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
    5. Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Live Music
      I try to be sensible about it. Cinema etc definitely but chances of being exposed to a dangerous level of noise over a sustained period during the course of a random day is relatively low, never the less I have my ER-20's in my pocket at all times just in case.

@Nick the Swede I hear you there, that's one scenario I tend to plug in for these days. Probably being a little over cautious but you're right, when an infant is distressed they could cry at loud volume over a sustained period.

@Dr. Nagler I've asked the Doctor about this, as I'm sure others have on several occasions. I agree with his opinion that we should only be avoiding sounds where your voice needs to be raised to be heard. Perhaps he could comment on some of the scenarios that arise in this thread?

• Like Like x 1
    6. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I used to to it every time I went out to a nightclub (which I don't do anymore, for other reasons) and I bring my earplugs (custom) along every time I go to the movies and attend sports games. That's about it.

Unfortunately I've gotten lazy with it and I'm paying the price... :(

7. @Greg Clarke, specially in an enclosed space like a small bathroom. Measured his Crying to around 90dbso_O.Otherwise i would protect at concerts and clubs but that is a different story.

8. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I do not wear ear protection in movies. I do not wear ear protection on airplanes. I do not go to rock concerts - but I do go to operas and the symphony. I don't wear ear protection there. I don't have a motorcycle. If I did, I'd wear ear protection while I was riding it.

I do wear ear protection at NFL games in indoor stadiums. If I used a jack hammer, I'd protect my ears.

I do not use ear protection around crying babies.

If a fire engine goes by with sirens blaring, I cover my ears with my hands, but other than that I do not protect against regular traffic sounds.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Live Music
      Thanks @Dr. Nagler. I guess those of use who have Tinnitus as a result of acoustic trauma have the fear that events like these could cause further permanent damage. I find it hard to get away from that line of thinking but am doing my best to keep things sensible.

10. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      hi dr. nagler,

would you wear ear protection because of the wind or because of the exhaust/engine noise?

11. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I'd wear it because if I were speaking to somebody while riding on a motorcycle, I'd have to raise my voice in order to be heard. And that to me defines a sound level wherein I'd protect my ears. Whether it's because of wind or because of engine noise would (to me) be irrelevant.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 2
    12. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      I edited my response -> I never protect my ear in normal everyday traffic as the question was in the post.

13. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      I only use them in loud
      environment. Not in my car, not at work (office). I wear them on a party at home because some people speak up load and laugh out load. I wear them in the cinema, when i use the hairdryer, vacuumcleaner etc.

14. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      I protect my ears when I ride my motorcycle. The same at cinemas and stadium. Sometimes during long trips by car or on airplanes

15. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @Asian - I would definately wear plugs ..specially where you live it's way too loud . If car or big truck honks next to you then it's way too loud .I even wear while driving and from past one year my t was so low . I don't think our ears were meant to hear car honks ..traffic noises loud music etc. Now specially our ears are damaged so we have to protect it v carefully .
      Did your T return to baseline after the bitty day party incident ?

16. Garden Ring
      Mellow

Garden Ring Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Went to see the new Nolan movie a couple of days ago and forgot to take my earplugs with me. Had to spend almost half the time with fingers in my ears, because the volume of the sound was physically unpleasant. When I discussed that with my buddies after the movie, they looked very surprised and said they felt no discomfort with the sound whatsoever. So probably it's just me being overprotective.
      Also, I used to put my earplugs in when taking subway (which is very noisy in Moscow), but then stopped doing that. Actually, I try to avoid doing things that remind me of my tinnitus, and it seems like a good strategy.

17. kmohoruk
      Nerdy

kmohoruk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise, Ear Infection, TMJ
      Thank you @Dr. Nagler for this - it will serve as a good template for when its sensible to protect. I do try and air on the side of caution because I feel that my H adds another layer compared to someone who just has T.

I mostly try and just protect around LARGE parking lots, as car horns (or horns from auto lock features) still causes me to jump a bit. Besides that though I mostly don't use any form of ear protection right now....so I'm making progress. As the ol' saying goes "Slow and steady wins the race". :)

18. Fiore
      Doubtful

Fiore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      When I go out in traffic ALWAYS, the city here is noisy! other than that no. Theater and theme park no-because I plan on avoiding them for the time being.

19. Paul201
      Pacman

Paul201 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subwoofer
      I stick foam plugs in the shower and with a hair dryer and hoover, just because I feel I am in some sort of "healing" phase and am being cautious, even tho they say the inner ear doesn't heal, but something happens in there to quite a few people with t reductions in volume and even the odd one reporting it gone/ish/almost gone etc. Before I used plugs I had reactions from the above activities that I didn't like. Im probably being over cautions but Im going to keep it that way for a while as I have seen a 15% or more reduction in t since onset and my hearing has regained some of it sharpness, that surely must be a good sign

20. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      My H flares up a day or two every week so I stick cotton in or it drives me nuts.