Hyperacusis/Tinnitus Help

Discussion in 'Support' started by Matthew Perrotta, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Matthew Perrotta

Matthew Perrotta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2/2016
      Hi, My name is Matt, about a month ago, a so called 'friend' popped a water bottle next to my right ear, my tinnitus is in my right ear and I believe I have hyperacusis as well, I'm 14 and my pediatrician said he's never had a case where it hasn't gone away in a young person. I just want to know how long I should wait until I should be worried, I am seeing an ENT next week. i have band practice for an hour every day and I'm wondering If I should stop for a while even though I wear ear protection. Anything helps thanks. :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      Hi Matthew, sorry you are having these issues atm. If i were you, i would skip band practise for at least a couple of weeks. You have a unique chance of recovery from this, provided you give your ears a good rest. Plugs do not cancel out all the harmful frequencies, and you still have your whole life in front of you, so take good care!

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Matthew Perrotta

Matthew Perrotta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2/2016
      So are you saying there is a good chance this will go away? And how long should the tinnitus stick around before it fades away?

4. Mithrandir
      Ape-like

Mithrandir Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock Disorder (TTTS)
      Stay at home and wait the pressure disappears, don't take any risks, little activities are risk at this level ;-)

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Matthew Perrotta

Matthew Perrotta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2/2016
      Can't really stay home from school for too long

6. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stay away from loud noise, for a long long time. We're talking months here. No headphones, parties, concerts, band practise, nothing of that sort.
      Get a pair of decent and discreet earplugs and have them on you all the time in case you get into an unexpectedly loud situation like a mall with blaring speakers or a music store etc.
      Treat your damaged ear just like a broken leg. Give it time to heal, and it may go away. There is no given time frame, just don't do anything that might aggravate it in the meanwhile.
      Eat well, get a lot of sleep etc.
      You're young so even if it doesn't go straight away, it will fizzle out slowly over time or you will adapt.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Christina

Christina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/30/15
      I would stay away from loud noises and be extremely careful. It may go away provided that you give your ears a break.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Matthew Perrotta

Matthew Perrotta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2/2016
      What about the hyperacusis?

9. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Matthew Perrotta

I would say the same advice that has been given on T applies to the hyperacusis also. Both symptoms are signs of trauma and distress to the ear. Ears often can heal, especially for someone as young as you. But you need to give them lots of time to rest and recover by protecting them from loud noises - and unfortunately lots of time for ears does not mean hours or days, but weeks or months. Better to be on the safe side and and you may recover nicely. Earplugs definitely are your friend, even after you are fully recovered.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Tha_b_man

Tha_b_man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1/2009
      As far as hyperacusis, don't over protect your ears. Go for long walks outdoors and let your ears take in normal everyday sounds. I would recommend doing that as much as possible. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      Band practice definately stay away from. Also anywhere else where the sound is uncomfortable and is likely to go on a long time.
      You have to go to school but have small earplugs for noisy times, and get your parents to explain to the school your problem
      You will heal from H, but over months. You must still gave daily sound but T low levels and build gradually over the months. Don't let people tell you it will be ok to tough it out. Listen to your body and you will recover.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Matthew Perrotta

Matthew Perrotta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2/2016
      Update: the Ent says that my hearing is perfect, does that affect anything?

13. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, there might not be any measurable hearing loss as far as the ENT can check using a rudimentary audiogram, but the nerves connected to your inner ear might be sensitive. They heal very slowly.
      We can't give you more advice than this, protect your ears when in loudish places, and slowly let them adapt to ambient noise.
      How's your H?

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Matthew Perrotta

Matthew Perrotta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2/2016
      I feel like it's getting better, but actually have no idea what about my T?