I Have Questions and Scared...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jimineze, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Jimineze

Jimineze Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hello,
      I'm new here and wanted to get a take on what kind of doctor to see.

In March, I started hearing this whooshing sound in my ears MOSTLY when I stand up. I have been taking benzodiazepines (horrible drug) for almost 20 years. I am titrating off right now but have a way to go because there is a possibility that I have mercury poisoning. However, it has not gone away and when I stand up by bp goes up as well. Actually my bp is erractic.

I have an app with a cardiologist tomorrow and I don't know if that's the right doc or not from reading quickly through the posts. I keep reading ENT's to start out with.

So what kind of a doctor does this forum recommend? This is enough to drive you crazy as all of you know already I'm sure. I already have the regular tinnitus and have for a long time and that is due to the benzo's I'm sure, but yet mercury toxic people have it bad as well. I can almost handle the regular one, but not PT.

Thank you,
      Jimineze

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jimineze

Jimineze Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I also sometimes have it when I lay down as well.

3. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      @Jimineze That is a very broad question. I think it's for a doctor to look into in a lot more detail. There are a number of medical reasons that could be the cause and if treated could eliminate or reduce elements of the tinnitus. Sorry to be vague but it's not something that can be diagnosed on a forum. Best of luck though and please let us know.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jimineze

Jimineze Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thank you. I just wanted to know what KIND of doctor to go to for PT?

5. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I have that whooshing sound, momentarily when i stand up along with a feeling of head pressure. I havent had it investigated as I am concerned that it is just going to escalate my anxiety about my tinnitus and draw my attention to it than it deserves.

6. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Deb, I didn't realize you had the whooshing sound, too. If it is just momentary, it probably isn't necessary to investigate it, but if it becomes constant, then it's worth checking with a doctor about it.

@Jimineze, the kind of doctor I'd recommend for pulsatile tinnitus is either a neurotologist or a neurologist. You could start with your ENT, but often ENT's don't have the time to investigate the cause of PT. My ENT referred me to a neurotologist for further examination and testing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jimineze

Jimineze Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thank you Karen. Mine is momentary as well, meaning it does not last for over sixty seconds so far. I will check into what you said.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Jimineze,

Since your blood pressure is erratic, it's good that you're going first to a cardiologist. I think that's the right approach, and I hope your blood pressure settles back down. The erratic blood pressure happened to me, too, right after I got off a beta blocker drug. Mine did settle down, but it took awhile. Good luck, and let us know what your doctor says.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jimineze

Jimineze Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Karen,
      What kind do you have and what caused yours? Is everything alright now?

10. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Thanks Karen. Whooshing is intermittent and momentary...

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jimineze

Jimineze Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Karen,
      I read somewhat of your story so you don't have to type all that out. I just pressed on my neck and the pulsating stopped. I have no idea what that means. I'm trying to find out. I'm a thyroid patient as well. This is a awful condition and I'm sorry we all are going through it.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Jimineze,

I hope you find some answers at your cardiologist's. Please do report back here to let us know what you find out.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jimineze

Jimineze Member

Tinnitus Since:
      OK. I went to ENT today. He seemed to be very familiar with this, and he ordered the MRI's. However, he says there is not much point without gadolinium. I don't want this contrast. Will it hurt me? I don't know what to do but something has to be done.
      Thanks!

14. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, @Jimineze,

Don't worry about the contrast dye! I was worried about it, too, when I had my MRI and MRA a couple of years ago. However, my doctor said he had had similar tests himself, with gadolinium, and he had no problems with it. He told me to drink lots of water both before and after the tests. I did that, and had absolutely no problems with it.

I think you'll be fine. Please do keep us posted on what you decide to do. I hope you do go ahead with the MRI, so that at least you can ease your mind about your condition.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Informative Informative x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jimineze

Jimineze Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks Karen for your kindness. This is a nice board. :):thankyousign:

16. beemovie

beemovie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2013
      Thats because it stops or slows down the blood in your main artery at your neck. Your hearing the blood flow so when you stop the flow the sound stops.

17. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's true, Beemovie. However, some of us with pulsatile tinnitus cannot make the sound stop when pressing on our carotid artery. I think that means our PT has a different cause. I'm one of those who cannot stop the sound by pressing on my neck, around my ear, or anywhere!

• Like Like x 1