I Started Hearing a Crackling Noise on Certain Frequencies Last Night — Sounds Like a Broken Speaker

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Apr 3, 2018.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I haven't been exposed to any loud noises, although the past week or so I have experienced what I think could be fluctuating hormones. I was a little on the edge yesterday due to tinnitus sounds...my dad and I played pool and my dad did a break. There was actually five breaks total. The breaks weren't louder than usual and I actually had my hearing aids on the lowest setting (very unusual) because I was worried something might happen to my ears while I try to get back to normal (static tinnitus had started happening a couple days prior). I can't remember if I noticed a change in hearing before we played pool or after but I do know I noticed it after 4 p.m.

For the preceding few weeks before I got really nauseated I was taking:

75mg Lamictal in the morning
      1.5mg melatonin with a very small crumb of klonopin
      .75mg melatonin 2 hours later

I thought melatonin was causing the nausea and constipation so I cut back and after a day or two it stopped but after that the static tinnitus came back.

Any recommendations?

Edit: It seems like if I watch TV or play a YouTube video that it sounds different...kind of like listening from a broken speaker and it seems the volume isn't as loud as normal. I'm also hearing what I believe are new noises when my ceiling fan is on.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Im sure it is just one of the things tinnitus does and should settle.
      Try relax and stay calm and play relaxing music and don't listen out for your sound or changes .
      Love glynis

3. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @JasonP
      Did things settle down for you at all?

4. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      @JasonP Could it be your hearing aids are playing up? Can your audiologist check them? Moisture etc can affect their performance

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I don't think it was that...I think it was some kind of withdrawal from klonopin issue...fortunately, that sound hasn't happened much lately. :) I don't have it right now...I hope it is gone for good.

6. Kenilworth

Kenilworth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi there. I'm also experiencing the exact same thing. Is it something related to hearing loss?

I went to get my hearing checked for the first time in 6 years since my tinnitus onset. I do have a slight dip at higher frequencies but everything is well within normal range and I have perfect word recognition. But I still experience what you experienced especially while watching television and YouTube videos on my phone and it started right after Cyproheptadine withdrawal. It's been a month but no change and I fear the withdrawal messed up my hearing.

Will mine ever go away? Any advice would be helpful.