I Was Sold Hearing Aids and They Have Not Helped with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by CAJINFLORIDA, Nov 25, 2018.

1. CAJINFLORIDA

CAJINFLORIDA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October of 2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      nothing specific
      Hello,

I am new to this forum but not to tinnitus. I live in Florida and am 71.

My tinnitus developed in October of 2007 and it has been with me ever since. High pitched buzz. Both ears, mainly left. I have been to ENT doctor with no help.

A local ear clinic opened down the street, I received a flyer.....I have heard of the company. I went in because they advertise being able to help with tinnitus. They gave all the hearing tests, and my hearing was off for a certain tone.

I was told and understand the logic that this is coming from the brain and the brain needs to be retrained.

So they sold me hearing aids and they have not helped at all with the tinnitus. It has been 4 months.

2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Hello welcome to TinnitusTalk.

Tinnitus in your case is a neurological condition caused by the brains reaction to a loss of hearing, some people who have missing limbs or even digits report sensation being able to feel and move their lost limb to extents even though nothing is there. Tinnitus is the auditory brain compensating for hearing that was lost.

When ENT's say retrain the brain, they mean learn to ignore tinnitus. Hearing aids providing more input will help reduce tinnitus but a cure would require curing hearing loss or targeting the problem in the auditory brain. Please don't search anymore there unfortunately is not a effective treatment yet.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1