If Tinnitus Is a "Problem" Only of the Inner Ear, Why We Have to Visit Other Doctors?

Discussion in 'Support' started by i.m, Apr 12, 2016.

1. i.m
      Anime

i.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For me: Aspartame Poisoning. For Ent: L: TMJD / R: Dunno
      I am reading in this forum that tinnitus can occurr inside the inner ear, the cochlear nerve and the brain.

In my case, after the ENT ( a doctor specialized in the treatment of tinnitus ) visited me, and having made all the necessary investigations, he came to the conclusion that my tinnitus has nothing to do with my ear, not having auditory disorders, dizziness, fullness or other symptoms like that, but could be a problem of the muscles near the auditory pathways.

So I did the electrognathography with the maxillofacial doctor. She founds "something" to the muscles near the ear (I do not remember what kind or the name of this alteration ), so I have to take a I-don't-know-its-name thing inside my mouth for about six months.

In your opinion, is this the right way to treat my tinnitus, since this is outside the auditory sistem?

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      i.m
      Anime

i.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It seems that every ENT out there specialized in tinnitus is very ignorant in what he / she does o_O

However is this story not true? Her tinnitus was gone, and that's was not something related to the auditory sistem

3. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?
      I don't even know what they mean by " Specialized " when we could know just as much as them and most of the time the people on here have actually provided helpful coping mechanisms.A lot more than " learn to live with it ".

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      i.m
      Anime

i.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well it means that he knows something more about a specific organ condition than others know. How can you be so sure he doesn't know what he is doing for me and his patients?

5. Jason_Cohen

Jason_Cohen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Kind of hard to understand your post, but if you're young and have no reason to believe you have excessive hearing loss or noise damage, it's definitely possible that your tinnitus is being caused by your jaw.

6. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Specialized in Tinnitus?from what i have experienced with an ENT and audiologist they are not specialized.
      There is no way for your ENT to really objectively exclude your ear as being the root of the cause.

Unless you have pulsatile T which can be detected while listening for it.Usually a blood vessel is responsible for this variant of T.

7. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That being the possibility when chewing too much gum,i was just simply saying it's funny when his ENT told him.
      " Nothing wrong with the ears " lol..

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      i.m
      Anime

i.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I did every exam needed, from audiometry up to 20khz , mri scans, electrocochleography, etc and everything was fine.

Well the fact you had a bad experience with some doctors doesn't mean that every doctor is like them :)

9. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The literature they have is the same,people are not experimenting with drugs on this site for shits and giggles.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      i.m
      Anime

i.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So for you it's a waste of time going to these doctors :)

Hovewer I linked a story of someone who cured her tinnitus by adjusting her jaw some post back. What do you think about that story?

11. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ is a possibility,you don't seem to get the point i was trying to make with excluding the ears.

12. Jason_Cohen

Jason_Cohen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Sounds like TMJ is the culprit. It's even more likely if you only have tinnitus in one ear.

Also, just curious, but what country are you from?

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      i.m
      Anime

i.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have tinnitus only in my left ear from this February. I am from italy ( I guess you did this question for my horrible grammar, right? Sorry :cry: )

14. Jason_Cohen

Jason_Cohen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Haha, yeah. Also the fact that your hearing test went up to 20hkz. Most places in the US will only go up to 8khz, which is pretty useless for diagnosing tinnitus.

15. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The funny thing is when you have a loss of hearing within that range you have Tinnitus according to them lol.
      Otherwise they dismiss it as being hearing loss,or rather natural loss of hearing capability.

Edit: Officially you have no damage unless it's between 4KHz and 8KHz,they don't even count high frequencies as hearing loss.Because you don't need them and don't use them in every day life.

16. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @i.m,
      Good luck with your mouth guard and it should help take any presure off your use joint and muscles and help your tinnitus over time.
      Most mouth guards are usually worn through the night .
      Don't over vote on apples and cut good up small and try keep off chewy stuff like him or chewy sweets in the day.
      I did for a while wear mine in the day.
      It did help and stop my jaw crunching wearing it but sadly did not help my tinnitus but that is down to a eat condition I have called Menieres.
      .I have recently been fitted with a denture plate with two side/back teeth on and that has stopped the TMJ and I'm hoping might over time calm my ears down a little between Menieres flair ups.
      Glad your test results were ok and fingers crossed you notice a difference with TMJ treatment.....lots of love glynis