If You Already Have Hearing Loss, Are You Susceptible to Noise Damage?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Keiv, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Keiv

Keiv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2015
      For example it takes a normal hearing person 85 db for 8 hours as a guideline for hearing damage.

When you have a hearing loss ( mild, moderate, severe...etc.) do you use the same damage criteria that is it will take 85 db for 8 hours to damage your remaining hearing or is your ear since it has a hearing loss will now be easier to damage at a lowered decibel level, let's say when it was normal hearing it takes 85 db for 8 hours. but now with a hearing loss it might just take 80 or 75 db for 8 hours?

can anyone with hearing loss chime in, do you guys still use the same 85 db for 8 hours guide to prevent damage?

2. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      People with hearing loss have the same resistance to sound that others.

Even if you have hearing loss the remaining hearing cells have the same resistance.

3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I wouldn't count on 85db / 8 hrs, though -- that's the OSHA guideline, and there's an EPA document somewhere indicating that 93% of people will get hearing damage with that exposure. I think 75db is probably closer to the 8 hour max for most people, but there's genetic variation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      How do you know ? I read a contrary theory on website about hearing loss. Let's be careful when writing such things. It's sure though that we already have different damage tresholds depending on genes, age, sex, so any guidelines should be taken with scepticism. I definitely don't trust them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      It's a well known fact that exposure to loud noises accelerates cochlear aging. I'm not sure an injured inner ear is as resilient as a young, healthy one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      The way I see it is that people with hearing loss will always protect their hearing and will preserve more hearing than those who don't know how it's like to lose some hearing and they blast their ears everyday as if they dont exist. In the long run, we will have more preserved hearing than them. Just looking at the positive side

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      I'd like to add to that we need our hearing for our whole lives (80 something years I guess for most of us). I wouldn't count on hair cell regeneration. Maybe for my grandkids.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I wouldn't count on it, but why are you so pessimistic when human trials are already underway?

9. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      I agree , Asian, it must be often true, but the sad fact is some people are genetically prone to lose hearing more than others and they will lose it no matter they expose themselves or not. I don't know the statistics. No justice in some cases. After all it's genes that matter the most.

10. tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      most people with hearing loss have no tinnitus. most people with tinnitus have no hearing damage. its just a coincidence if you have both

11. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, sure, and some people are born into unimaginable poverty while others are not. The sad truth is that if you're able to read the internet over a reasonably high-speed connection from a comfortable and secure home or cafe where you have reliable access to clean water and food, then you're already doing better than most of the world and if things were really "fair" your quality of life would go down and not up :-/

12. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      I don't see a point of your comment ? I'm trying to gather all the FACTS in order to gather all the info concerning the asked question so that there are no further misconceptions. I'm a fan of reliable information, you see. It's not the ''optimism vs pesimism'' topic so I found your comment completely misplaced. When I use the word 'justice' I refer to ears issues ONLY. But if you raised the topic, I can perfectly notice the shit happening in the world to other people, thanks. That doesn't mean I consider myself luckier, even if you might think so. I know well what poverty is. Do you?

13. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      The current methods with potential to regenerate hair cells is with embryonic stem cells or gene therapy. None of those technologies are even remotely ready for routine regenerative medicine, let alone for the repair of highly specialized cells. Hell, we can't even cure hair loss with stem cells yet.

The methods aren't even in their infancy, they are at embryonic stages at best. It will be at least several decades until the average joes and janes of this world can restore their hearing at some specialized clinic. After negotiating the interest rate on the 7 years payment plan it will likely cost, of course.

It won't be in 5 or 10 years like some optimistic posters here would like. Legitimate treatment for T will surely come in this time frame but for hearing loss it'll take 3-4x that long. I'd put a fiver on that.

14. tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      yeh but there are some people out there who have it all. They have money, health, happiness and material things. They have no tinnitus or anything to worry about. The worst they might get is a cold and even then they will have servants to tend to them. Now compared to that our lives are miserable. Life is not fair.

15. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh? http://www.genvec.com/product-pipeline/cgf-166-hearing-loss

16. tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
    17. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Alex Senkowski Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Wow. This thread spiraled into total despair really quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Oh what? Does that even work? All it says is it works on animals and in vitro. Many promising drugs do. In the end that's all most drug ever end up being: promising.

How far away is it until you can actually buy the product and benefit from it? A long time.

19. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, it says phase 1 & 2 clinical trials now in progress, which means it's being tested in humans as we speak.

The trial will complete in 2017; depending on the results I'd say 5-10 years out from that for commercial availability.

20. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      I read that on the internet, don't remember the site but my ENT confirmed it. It's logic thought, hearing cells are stimulated by sound and even if some are destroyed the other reamins the same, they are not oversimulated because others are dead.

And People with hearing aids? They have more sound in tgheir ears than anybody. But a lot does not loose their hearing quicker than another person.

Of course each person is different. Majority is fine.

"cochlear aging" on internet mean hearing loss, not a possible ear weaker gainst sound.

I would say the contrary. Lots of people have hearing loss AND tinnitus

But in fact i would be interested in some site who shows if hearing losse weaken the ear.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. here2help

here2help Member

@Keiv, @Quentino, @Gosia, @Nucleo, and @Alex Senkowski, there is some evidence that some people may be more genetically predisposed to hearing loss than others when exposed to loud sound. Aging, exposure to certain occupational or recreational noise, and certain illnesses or medication may also make a person more susceptible to hearing damage. Those factors aside, people with hearing loss and people with tinnitus are no more and no less susceptible to damage from loud sound than people with no hearing loss.

here2help

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    22. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Prove it.

23. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      well, this is the conventional view, so if you're suggesting an unconventional view, then the burden of proof is on you, and not the current scientific thinking.

24. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A working product which has emerged from controlled studies? Uh, polio flu and measles vaccines; HIV antivirals; prosthesis with neural interfaces; joint replacement; cochlear implants...

...unless you're suggesting that there's something specific about hearing disorders which makes them fundamentally different from any other medical problem? Again, if so, that's an extraordinary claim and the burden of proof is on you.

25. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      That may be true if it happens naturally overtime. But acquired hearing loss during a noise exposure or a head injury is a different story and can be prevented from becoming worse I think

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Sorry man, that is not the "conventional" view. Lol

P.s. nothing "conventional" about tinnitus anyways. Doctors/scientists still dont know.
      So cut the baloney.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      My ears definately feel more susceptible now, you won't see me in loud places anymore. For me personally, not worth taking the chance. Having said that, man I miss the noise of a busy pub. I always liked the sound of a lot of people talking and laughing, now it just hurts me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'd have thought the hearing loss would have meant you were less susceptible because you couldn't be damaged by sounds you couldn't hear. But maybe sounds you don't hear CAN still damage your ears? And if Telis has hearing loss why do noises cause him pain? Maybe the pain is coming from the noises that he doesn't hear but they are still having some other affect on his ears?

29. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      I once started a separate thread asking exactly this question. I had two answers from doctors - one from Dr Nagler and one outside the forum. They both said 'no'.

Those with hearing loss, me included, can still be hurt by noise as well as all the others cause after all we have often the majority of hair cells left and doing fine and sometimes even overreacting cause forced by the brain to work extra since some sounds are not available anymore.
      And that's exactly what I was trying to say 2 posts ago. That's also what I was told by 3 ENTs out of 4 I've seen since the onset. We all have a bit different personal sensitivity to sound and therefore damage which depends on genes (mostly) and age. It's easy to observe in life - I know people attending the most agressive and loud concerts like 50 times a year, never wearing earplugs. Nothing happened to their ears ( yet ).

So we have a theory of one ENT against another. And one website against another. They often contradict themselves so we cannot take this info for granted. What you write is perfectly logic and I'd admit that but I guess it doesn't exclude the fact that if some cells are already damaged that means we might be genetically proned do damage more than others therefore it's easier for those with hearing loss to make it worse, in this sense. After all if you put 10 people at the loud concert without protection how many will end up with hearing loss or tinnitus ? Maybe 1 ? the vulnerable one. Otherwise all the concert goers and musicians would be deaf. I mean, acoustic traumas don't happen 'only' because there is a certain amount of decibels ( unless it's 150 db maybe ? ) When we read all this OSHA guidelines it shows what's potentially dangerous and what CAN cause damage, but it doesn't say that it certainly will. I don't know how many decibles are sure to damage every ear . 150 ? But for those who have hearing loss at an early age without experiencing such a trauma ( like me ) may assume their ears are genetically more prone to damage than those of the others who have perfect hearing and so I should be more careful than others . That's how I see it for now..

30. tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      no I meant show me a working product for hearing damage or deafness. Theres all these trials but until we have something that really works its all speculation.