I'm 14, and Have Had Tinnitus for Nearly a Year Now.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dan Williams, May 30, 2016.

1. Dan Williams
      Balanced

Dan Williams Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/7/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      So yeah, I posted about my T late July last year, It has gotten quite a bit worse since then and I don't know why. I originally had an ear infection, with symptoms of trigeminal neuralgia. Since then my tinnitus has changed into a metallic sound, with the frequency constantly changing, it is fairly loud. The Dr says I now have TMJ and that is what caused it but I got it off an ear infection in the first place so that can't be the only cause.
      I have been getting increasingly clumsy and forgetful recently, so I don't know if that means anything. My ears are super waxy constantly, and I sometimes get a really strong, weird sensation in my right ear (the ear that was infected). Ugh. Any ideas?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      I don't have a medical background to even begin to guess at what's going on, but the fact that you say you're getting increasingly clumsy is quite concerning. Being forgetful can be attributed to the mental stress of dealing with tinnitus, because loud tinnitus makes it harder to concentrate. Also, it affects the limbic system, which functions in helping us to create memories.

If you're not getting enough sleep (at least 8 to 10 hours a night for 14 years old), that could be part of the cause of some clumsiness, or if you're constantly distracted by your tinnitus and not focusing on what you're doing. For what it's worth, my advice is to see a neurologist and explain what's going on. There might be an underlying neurological disorder, or it might just be a coincidence, but at your very young age it's better to get things checked out.

• Useful Useful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dan Williams
      Balanced

Dan Williams Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/7/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      @Cheza I go to sleep around 10:30 and get up at 7, so I get 8.5 hrs of sleep per night.

4. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      If you have possible balance issues, get your ears checked, infections and middle ear issues/possible vertigo causes those issues.

Also getting a full blood panel exam can be helpful, it is always good to check things out to rule out other things...