I'm 15 and I Feel Like My Life Is Over

Discussion in 'Support' started by griffin2001, Aug 10, 2016.

1. griffin2001

griffin2001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Im fifteen, and have had tinnitus for six weeks. It seems to have only gotten worse, and I am super scared. Will my life ever return to normal? Will I ever be able to lead a happy life. These last few weeks have felt miserable

2. Scott T
      Alone

Scott T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax removal?
      how did you get it?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      griffin2001

griffin2001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't know, it just started when I woke up one day, I went to an ENT and they said my hearing was fine

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi griffin201,
      Fingers crossed it will settle down for you or go away soon.
      Have you had a cold or been listening to loud music ?...lots of love glynis

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      griffin2001

griffin2001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No, not really, but we have an African grey that screams really loud next to my room

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      griffin2001

griffin2001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No not really, but we do have an African grey that screams really loud

7. becomethesky

becomethesky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Sorry to hear you're having a hard time, @griffin2001 . The first couple of months are usually the worst, it will definitely get better!

How would you describe your tinnitus in terms of frequenzy, volume and location? Any other symptoms?

Back in January I developed a tinnitus sound that I could hear everywhere, even on a jet plane. And I did fear that my life was over, that I would never enjoy enything ever again. But I'm relatively young as well, and just had too much to look forward to, so I made a decision not to let something as insignificant as a sound ruin my life. So I continued to live as if nothing happened, except I'm more careful with sounds. What I discovered is that life is still great and I still can achieve anything I want. It's not like it's been easy but so far I'm doing good.

You say that you're scared. That might be the reason why your tinnitus feels worse. Fear, anxiety, frustration, etc is fuel for tinnitus. Stress is also not good. So that's something to work on, it's not easy but you will manage it. You might want to try white noise if you haven't already, it might mask your tinnitus. I used it in the beginning to get some relief now and then, although today I don't bother with it.

I also recommend checking out the youtube channel of Julian cowan Hill, he's awesome. And there's lots of good advice to find on here.

You'll be fine :)

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      griffin2001

griffin2001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you @becomethesky for the encouraging words, my tinnitus is pretty loud, but the shower and such can usually mask it. I guess this is just something that can only be mended with time.

9. becomethesky

becomethesky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Time is your friend. And so is the shower, it masks my T as well. I also enjoy being outdoors, I'm rarely ever bothered by it then :)