I'm Feeling Alone.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hil, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Hil

Hil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      I feel alone because no one in my surroundings has tinnitus. No one in my family, none of my friends. I feel like it's worse because I'm going through it alone. It's hard. (Shameless complaining, I know.) Even though you read the statistics of how many millions of people have it, when you're the only one in your little patch of the world who has it, it sucks.

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Hil,
      I totally understand how you feel.
      Your tinnitus family is only a click away and here to support you around the clock.
      It's hard for family and friends to understand about something they carnt see.

Do you have a Tinnitus Support Group in your area ?
      The BTA and ATA and Action on Hearing loss have support groups dotted around .

.....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 3
    3. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      @Hil Hi Hil yeah I know what you mean there really isn't anyone in my circle that can relate to my T either but that's why we have this board we come here to vent to cry to get strength. Hil your not alone you can always reach out here to our forum for a kind and supporting word.
      Stay Strong

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Boy Helios

Boy Helios Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      tinnitus can be cured or drastically reduced if you start treatments early.

it is related to hearing loss and the hair cells do not die right away. try to get some roids. use gingko, vincopetene etc. preferably through IV

5. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      Even when people you know have it you often feel alone. For example, my dad has tinnitus as does my boyfriend however it doesn't bother them like it bothers me. So when I go to discuss how I feel about tinnitus to them they cannot relate because they didn't have the anxiety associated with tinnitus that I did and so to them it's just a noise. So often times I feel very alone except for this forum! I have found a lot of support which has been enough to get me through the hard times when I feel really alone. There's always people here who understand exactly what you're going through :)

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Boy Helios

Boy Helios Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      forums like this are useful for info about cures or treatments.

a lot of people here are stuck in a loop complaining or tripping out about something that can't be changed easily.

Tinnitus is not the end of the world. I see blind people who seem to be happy

7. Brandond1981

Brandond1981 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/98
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My ringing started when I was 17 now I'm 34 lossing my hearing and the tinnitus has got much worse. I've tried everything that I can think of get help but no one has any answers for me and I feel trapped in my own body. I want you to know your not alone.

• Like Like x 2
    8. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I felt truly alone when I realized that the Medical profession that I had worked alongside for so many years had no interest in helping me. Whether they could or couldn't help was less relevant than the fact that they just dismissed me out of hand as soon as they heard the T word.

9. STi

STi Member

Yes!..Nobody understands except us!

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      That's about as helpful as a blind man trying help another blind man in distress by saying that at least we don't have screaming tinnitus in our brains that tortures us 24 7 and that blindness is not the end of the world.

And yes it can be the end of the world for some, I have many friends here who have lost everything due to severe T and H.

• Agree Agree x 4
    11. Hotaru
      Depressed

Hotaru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-15-15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      URI/ETD
      Both my parents have T but it doesn't bother them, and I don't know how they can live with it.

12. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I was feeling VERY alone in the world a while back. Seriously alone and almost claustrophobic in my own body. I talked to other people in town who have tinnitus but no one seemed to have it as bad as me. Good for them though. But you're on a very good forum here. I found my best treatment here and I'll be forever grateful. Hang in there.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?
      Well i don't feel alone ( damn T keeps stalking me) I understand the need to talk with people
      about what you're going trough,there's many people out there dealing with this on their own.
      I guess some people are able to cope without that understanding feedback,it's wise though
      to keep talking with people if you feel like you can't handle it.

It helps me all the time,lifting people's spirit helps me as well when they manage to pull themselves out.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Hux

Hux Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Suddenly her boyfriend and her father said they have tinnitus just to make you feel better , they really can not have it, and only lied to him, because it is rare that them do not mind .

15. Lgunal

Lgunal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss and Wellbutrin (I believe)
      I am right there with you. I know absolutely no one in my life with T, and although I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy, it's very isolating not having a sympathetic real live person whose shoulder you can cry on.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Same here. Actually I am alone! HAHA now I made myself feel bad...

Live alone, family knows I had this acoustic trauma that caused loud tinnitus, but nobody else does. Only a few people at work know, but the only person that knows how much it has affected me is the person who caused it. Most just think I'm grumpy for no reason, or overreacting with all the loud noises. Maybe that's why I spend so much time on here although I know it's not healthy for recovery.

I'm curious, those who have bad tinnitus or hyperacusis, do your coworkers know?

• Like Like x 1
    17. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Yes!
      My boss said that my tinnitus is an old news.
      Male colleague in his late 60's slammed the draw so hard the other day that my brain shook, turned to me and said: I know you don't like this noise but it doesn't bother me!
      He always makes sure he makes some noise!
      Nice!
      Few more older bitches are the same as him, one heartless cow who makes a lot of noise and another one who says I choose to be a victim.
      Hmmmmm.....
      Two younger girls I work with are very supportive though.
      That's what I deal with at work!

• Hug Hug x 4
    18. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Have you tried sticking firecrackers in their ears and lighting them?

• Like Like x 1
    19. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      It crossed my mind!

20. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't we in Australia call this "workplace bullying"?

21. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Oh yes but.... what do I do!
      Nobody cares about my ear issues and they don't have to.
      It hurts more just knowing how cruel people can be:(

• Hug Hug x 2
    22. Hux

Hux Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I do not know anyone around me with tinnitus, sad, God has abandoned us.

23. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      True Val. We supposedly have all these legalistic protections, but the reality is your workplace would go from nasty to outright horror show if you did exercise your right to protection.

• Agree Agree x 2
    24. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I feel the same way. No one cares. The thing is that they really can't even imagine what this is like. I used to think that tinnitus was the sound that you hear for a little while if you had been in a club for a long time. I guess for some people it is and that is why they really aren't bothered by it. Idk about you, but my T is extremely loud and many different ever changing sounds. I didn't even think it was possible to hear sounds like this. I never knew tinnitus could be so loud or so complex, especially without any significant hearing loss. I think that people must think that we are exaggerating, because they have no reference point for understanding. I certainly understand. I wish that there was someone in my real life that understood me too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Where do you live, are there any support groups near by, anyone on this site?

26. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Most people cannot begin to comprehend what we are going through. Even now I still think I'm in some kind of bad dream and I'll wake up soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      I love you all your my friends in a different way. Were all suffering and it sucks.Try things to keep the baseline down. My baseline has gone up three times its tearing me apart. Love

28. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I finally got disability, T and H , Thyroid problems neuropathy, irritable bowel. It took me five years. Their creeps.
      Plutocrat bums. I just read they appropriated 70,000.000 to test marijuana. So they can take it from the public and give it to the pharmaceuticals.

29. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No one loves you when your down and out...

30. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      Excuse me? No, my father has had tinnitus for close to 30 years and uses hearing aids with masking for days it is especially bad. He says his does not bother him anymore and to him 'it is just a sound' . He has never had an anxiety reaction to it. My boyfriend is the same. He has intermittent tinnitus that lasts for a few weeks at a time and then tapers off. Or very low volume T that does not cause him an anxiety response.

Just because they do not respond to tinnitus like you or I does not mean they do not have it or that they are lying. It means they probably have a quieter tinnitus and don't suffer the same anxiety response that I do. It is true neither of them suffer from anxiety disorders and I do which is probably why I am having such a hard time with this.

My grandmother also has it from hearing loss associated with aging and hers does bother her on occasion but for the most part is coping well. Since developing T I have met several people who have it in real life just never mentioned it. The lady who did my nerve test, my chiropractor, a co-worker, my father, my partner, a friend's boss. It affects A LOT of people and everyone of them differently.

Furthermore; there are A LOT of people who have T and are not overly bothered by it. I found your post very rude and don't really appreciate it.