I'm New, Tinnitus Flare Up — Help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kevin25, May 30, 2015.

1. Kevin25

Kevin25 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi, I am new to the forum.

I have had tinnitus for 3 and a half years. Never been a problem.

Since last week I had a huge spike and starting panicking real bad.

Now it hasn't gone down since and I am scared it could be permanent but before the spike I was highly stressed.

Now I have created all these fears again. Is this just a flare up?

2. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi @Kevin25 and welcome to TT..

High levels of stress can definitely create a spike, which usually subsides.. Sometimes in a short time, others a bit longer.. So yes I like to believe it is just a flare up...

Try not to feed the stress factor, work on your fears' reaction and see if it settles down a bit.. Keep us updated and best of luck !

I wish you well !

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kevin25

Kevin25 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thank you

4. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Do have a look at the "research" forums to see all the different research and alternative strategies coming up, I am sure you can find some interesting info, also related to similar experiences as the one you are having...

And when feeling down look at the positivity thread and the success stories.. They always cheer me up :)

Take care of yourself and your ears ! Ciao !

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kevin25

Kevin25 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      How do i get on the positive thread

6. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      On the Support section of the forum, second thread down called "The positivity" thread :)

7. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @Kevin25 ,

I agree with Lorenzo that your flare-up is probably due to stress, and will most likely go down, if you can get away from the source of the stress. The main thing NOT to do is panic; that won't help at all. Do you have anything calming that you can take for the stress? If not, you might try a natural supplement, such as holy basil, or magnesium. I take magnesium chloride tablets at night, and they really help me with sleep and with calming.

Please note our "Don't Panic - The Guide" tips on the main page of this forum (orange bar on right hand side). And you can come here any time to vent. There are people on here at any time of the day who understand.

Hugs, and best wishes for a calmer day,
      Karen

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kevin25

Kevin25 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Its hard not to focus on it but i think its the fear have you ever had a spike lasting a week or more karen

9. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @Kevin25

Yes, I have had a spike that lasted a long time, and it did finally go back down to baseline. (Baseline, for me, was still a pretty high level of tinnitus, though).

Kevin, have you had an audiological exam recently? Just wondering if your hearing might have changed in any way. If not, it may very well be the stress you've been under. I'm so sorry you're going through that right now, and hope that things in your life settle down for you. You could also consider going to the doctor for a short-term prescription for an anti-anxiety medication. I don't have any suggestions for which one might work best, as I don't take them myself. But other people on this board might suggest what has worked for them.

Good luck, and hugs!
      Karen

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. shantelle

shantelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Not sure if it helps but my brother in law has had tinnitus for 18 years caused by noise induced and last year he went to the gun range and shot a 12 gauge shotgun without protection..his ears screamed at him for 2 months straight and than eventually went back down to baseline. Im sure yours is just a temporary spike. Dont stress as it will just take longer to come down.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kevin25

Kevin25 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Its a bit quieter today so its definatley just a spike i hope its up and down every other day

12. AlisonS

AlisonS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2005
      Hi Kevin I am having a spike too , and I am also very anxious about it as it seems different than the last ones so hoping its allergy related , as this time I have other symptoms with it too , Yesterday it was a bit better but I found myself constantly checking in on it , and im driving my family mad as keep talking about it , I feel miserable as want to go back to how it was 2 weeks ago and feel this is forever as this is how my T started in the 1st place was by sinus etc ,.how is yours doing ?? Thanks