Inserted Earplugs the Wrong Way... Damage?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ghostkitten666, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Ghostkitten666

Ghostkitten666 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise/ Unknown
      So I need to wear earplugs for walking in the busy streets of downtown.

Anyway, I had a foam earplug that was a bit fussy and kept inflating too quickly when I tried to put it in my ear canal. When a truck came by, I pressed on the back end when the plug was fully inflated in my ear to push it in a little further.
      Suddenly I had a wave of pain go through my ear and a T spike. I also had a bit of dizziness to go with that. I still have the T spike and my ear still hurts 2 hours later.

Does this sound like inner ear damage from the pressure? I just don't see how pushing in a foam plug like that could exert so much pressure :/. Never seen this happen before with earplug use.

Thoughts?

2. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Why do you need to use plugs walking in the street ?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ghostkitten666

Ghostkitten666 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise/ Unknown
      @Bobby B

Because of busy traffic noise, which is dangerous. I already have T so why damage my ears more?

So, what are your thoughts to the question I posed?

4. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      Yes if the foam plugs were fully inflated, they will trap air between the plug and ear drum. Pushing them in further will increase the pressure momentarily and may hurt if your ears are that sensitive. When using any ear plug, you must use them correctly. I personally always liked the foam jobbies when I needed them in the past. Yea gotta squish em up real good and insert quickly and hold into place til they expand.

This pain should decrease over a short period of time. Don't stress it. Just be careful with any hearing protection and use them properly. Others here are dead against the foam plugs but in my opinion, if used correctly they are just fine.

Hang in there and give this time to heal a bit. Also make sure you let your doctor know about all of these issues so he/she can keep tabs.

Regards, Mike

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ghostkitten666

Ghostkitten666 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise/ Unknown
      @MikeP505

Thanks for this answer.
      Yea, I think I will be more careful in the future. I usually insert them the way you described, but one of my earplugs was not made correctly and expanded too quickly to get it into the ear in time. Fortunately, I am graduating to musician's earplugs next week.
      I'm just hoping it doesn't do permanent damage to my hair cells or anything like that. From what you tell me this is just outer ear/middle ear problem? Why do people not like foam plugs here?

6. MikeP505
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely because if used incorrectly they can hurt sensitive ear drums and cause the bones in the inner ear to fluctuate too hard at once and cause pain, like you experienced. I don't think having a one time bad reaction is doing much damage to the hairs. More damage will be done if you don't protect your sensitive hearing from loud noises. Good luck with the new plugs you are getting. They should work just fine. Try not to stress too much over all of this as stress will increase the noise!

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ghostkitten666

Ghostkitten666 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise/ Unknown
      @MikeP505

Makes sense. I know pulling plugs out will definitely give that reaction. But they cause hair cell damage? I thought I was just worrying too much about that originally.

8. MikeP505
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      When you remove ear plugs, any ear plugs, do it slowly and try to bend them a tad to allow air to get in as you pull them out. Just common sense.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ghostkitten666

Ghostkitten666 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise/ Unknown
      @MikeP505

Oh yes, I definitely know to do this. I learned the hard way a very long time ago...stupid me.

But will pushing on the earplugs cause inner ear damage in sensitive people? If you don't know the answer that is ok too.

10. MikeP505
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I suppose it may. Really depending on the inner ear. Some people are very sensitive in this area. I'm sure others may give you better advice and knowledge when they have a chance to read this thread.

Stay well my friend.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ghostkitten666

Ghostkitten666 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise/ Unknown