Intensity of My Tinnitus Seems to Be Completely Dependent on Anxiety Level

Discussion in 'Support' started by jp1995, Nov 24, 2017.

1. jp1995
      No Mood

jp1995 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Today is my 6th day since the incident which has caused my tinnitus. I found myself staring at walls, drifting off into getting absorbed by the sound of the T, which would be louder/quieter dependent on how stressed I was.

Yesterday I spent most of the day relaxing and noticed very little T noise. Later I went to the supermarket to get ice cream for thanksgiving. A man stood in my way and blocked me for over 5 minutes before I just said excuse m and moved myself in front of him to get what I need. Prior to that I was experiencing very low to non-existent T noise, after that it had come back to the audibleness which has to be masked to not be heard.

Today I woke up covered in anxiety and heard T for most of the day. I took 1mg of Ativan and instantly it seems to have gone away.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? It seems almost completely dependent (based off these small tests)

2. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      benzos can lower tinnitus by increasing GABA in some people it seems.

my tinnitus is unaffected by anxiety, diet, or the weather as some people with more variable tinnitus experience.

It sounds like your T is new, many people find their T changes quite a lot during onset. Hang in there, hopefully it goes away.

3. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      Yes, there are lots of reports of tinnitus being directly linked to anxiety. If you read through the forums you will see lots of cases where this is true. Once you get your anxiety under control the Tinnitus is easier to control as well. Same with sleep, lots of links there too. Ignoring it as much as possible and not seeing it as a threat will lower the volume as well.