Intermittent Fasting Increases Neurogenesis

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by Leodavinci, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Leodavinci
      Bookworm

Leodavinci Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/26/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic + Sudden hearing loss
      I was watching a pop science BBC doc. on fasting. I have fasted in the past for general health but the latest research suggests that fasting is a catalyst for new brain and brain stem nerve cells. Sweet. So I'm in the middle of a 24hr fast now and plan on fasting for 24hrs, no food whatsoever just water and coffee, once a week for a while. Anyone else fast before?

• Informative Informative x 4
    2. PatrickG

PatrickG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punch/kick to the right ear
      Hi there Leo! I will start doing it myself once a week. Dear @joseph Ghass here on the forums is a strong believer in this and it surely is worth a try. If it doesn't help the T, it will most probably make your health (and waist line) a favor.

3. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      I've gone back to my regular healthy way of eating, after trying all sorts of diet regimes. My T or hearing loss hasn't changed one bit, either way. Imo, don't deny yourself, in eating or drinking what you want. That is, as long as it's not fast food or processed food.

• Agree Agree x 4
    4. joseph Ghass
      Angelic

joseph Ghass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      Hi guys, yes IF is very beneficial.

what I recommend is doing IF + Fast

for the first month Fast 24h per week than next month do one 3 days fast than next month do 5 than 7.

more than 7 should be supervised.

I heard one case reversed his hearing loss with 21 days Fast.

God bless u all and good luck!

• Informative Informative x 3
    5. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      Good luck to all of you all who can cope with fasting...I just can't (weak willed, and once my blood sugar gets low, I am a despotic worm who will bite the head off anyone). The idea of adding one discomfort to another (fasting to tinnitus) is more than my little brain can handle.

I can't imagine tearing round looking after my smallholding on a grumbling stomach, muscles feeling like jelly, and a pounding migraine which is what fasting does for me. I'm not built with a lot of reserves, so soon get ketotic, sick feeling and sorry for myself once I've been without food very long.

I'm sure that fasting is a good thing if the day is likely to be quiet and calm (not sure about drinking coffee at the time, though). My days are chaotic, unpredictable and unplanned. With lambs soon to be born, I will also be up during, and sometimes all, night.

Can anyone really hold down a full-time active job whilst fasting? (Or do those employed folk fast at weekends and when they are on holiday). If folk fast whilst off work, haven't they saved up a hundred (often very physical) jobs to be done?

I'm really seeing myself as terminally weak-willed now!

Thankfully, diet doesn't influence my tinnitus, so I'll keep my chocolate bars in my pocket....I genuinely thank God that I am not diabetic.

Fungus

6. Tamika
      No Mood

Tamika Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One loud indoor concert
      I'm so depressed with T that many days I don't eat. Does that count? Don't have to worry about the waistline as I'm down to 52kg.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      Yeah, but anxiety and depression are a strike against neurogenesis from what I've read(very little). Probably a bigger negative than fasting is a positive.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      Eating raw coconut oil while otherwise fasting! I bet that's a great combination. I'll do a little bit of that tonight.

9. Nate Croteau

Nate Croteau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/27/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound Trauma
      I'm an early Tinnitus sufferer, about 3 months now. I've already had positive results since onset in my left ear from NIHL. My T level has already decreased substantially through proper diet and exercise as well as key supplements to promote healing. One factor I find odd is that my T level seems to spike after a meal, especially lunch and dinner. Not so much at breakfast. So I'm going to try fasting over the weekend and see what happens... God bless

• Like Like x 3
    10. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      I do a form of intermittent fasting, although not voluntarily. It's mostly for financial and situational reasons.

I eat "breakfast" at around 10-11am and supper at around 6-7pm, then I don't eat anything until the next day. (8-9h eating window, 15-16 hour fast.)

It keeps me from gaining weight. Not sure if it helps with anything else.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Codaz

Codaz Member

I might consider it but I'm also thinking the other way. I cut out potato chips now because they are heavy on salt.
      I'm thinking that my body needs some extra supplements to feel good. And for what it's worth eating or drinking less causes other stuff to happen too. Your kidneys need enough fluid to clean themselves. It's very important for your brain to get enough fluid each day to function said one doc to me. Drinking too little is seen a lot in elderly people which gives them all sorts of trouble. And since eating is also sometimes a social habit (which I need to stay positive) and neglecting digestion gives you stomach pains and bad sleep. My eye doc said regular food, regular sleep and regular outdoor activity (and I'm not good at that since I'm scared to make my T louder) is needed to maintain good eye health. So yeah balancing your food and fluids and outdoor activity is needed to maintain a good lifestyle. It's also far more influencing your psychological state of mind than we know upto know. I'm not saying I feel terrible while hungry but you feel better with your energy levels up.

• Like Like x 2
    12. Jan64

Jan64 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Intermittent fasting does not mean drinking less fluid... You may drink as much as you want unless it does not contain sugar... Water, tea... It also does not mean eating less, but if you like you can... You eat e.g. only between 16:00 and 20:00. With intermittent fasting your body goes into ketosis... Hypothesis is that giving your brain less glucose and glycogen but more fatty substances ('ketones') spontanious firing of neurons will decrease... I would say just give it a try!

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leodavinci
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      6/26/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had to work my way up to a 44 hour fast, which I did recently. You begin by skipping breakfast on morning. Then skipping breakfast and lunch and so on. It becomes much easier than you think. There is always a short hunger period, perhaps periods of hunger, then you are no longer hungry for hours. I strongly encourage it. The neurogenesis might help the body heal in many ways. Good luck

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leodavinci
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      6/26/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You will get better. The T might not go away, but your attention on it and its effects on you will dwindle away. You have this to look forward to. It will become less intrusive and less bothersome. Good Luck