Intermittent Fluttering — Am I Dealing with Tensor Tympani Syndrome (TTTS)?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nathan Grove, May 7, 2021.

1. Nathan Grove
      Cheerful

Nathan Grove Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety
      Hi there!

My name is Nathaniel (26) and I've been dealing with an annoying issue since yesterday morning. I woke up to the sound of intermittent fluttering in my left ear that wouldn't stop, seemingly caused by nothing. Sounds a little like someone gently tapping on my ear. I've done some online searching and it seems the symptoms are indicative of TTTS. However, it's never triggered by anything and only seems to worsen when I focus on it. If I distract myself well enough it goes away temporarily.
      • I cannot intentionally trigger it in any way.
      • It goes away for hours sometimes.
      • Beat is highly irregular.
      • Relatively quiet but nonetheless distracting.
      This leads me to hope that it is only anxiety related and will resolve on it's own eventually. I've scheduled appointments with a few ENTs but I'm hoping it'll just go away by then.

Has anyone else dealt with this? What can I do for treatment? I'm stressing pretty hard about it so any advice would be so helpful :)

Cheers, and I hope you all have a lovely weekend.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Aaron91
      Gloomy

Aaron91 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/headphones/concerts - Hyperacusis from motorbike
      Do you have any kind of general sensitivity to or pain from sound? Do you have a history of sound exposure i.e. attended many concerts or are a performing musician?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nathan Grove
      Cheerful

Nathan Grove Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety
      I don’t really have a history of that. I went to a couple loud concerts as a teen. No pain or anything like that, just very minor ear ringing now and then.

4. Aaron91
      Gloomy

Aaron91 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/headphones/concerts - Hyperacusis from motorbike
      Although I believe hyperacusis to be mainly peripheral in pathology, I think TTTS-related symptoms in particular can have a significant psychological component as they're limited to the middle ear. Without going into detail I have certain emotional triggers that can flare up my TTTS although my own primary complaint is hyperacusis.

Would you say you've had any stressful events lately, or been under some kind of chronic stress for some time?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nathan Grove
      Cheerful

Nathan Grove Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety
      I wouldn't say I've had any stressful events, maybe just trouble sleeping occasionally. It really feels like it came out of nowhere. It's been lessening over the days in frequency quite a bit, and actually started to back up in my left ear a little. Thank you for the responses by the way.

6. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      Hi, just wondering if this cleared up for you?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nathan Grove
      Cheerful

Nathan Grove Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety
      Yeah, it cleared up after a few days of making this post. Haven't had it since. After doing some research and talking to a few ENTs, it's basically just a muscle spasm in your ear, like an eye twitch (just 10x more annoying, lol). In the vast majority of people it will go away unless you have some underlying condition. Don't stress, it'll stop. Try to focus on something else in the meantime. I played Resident Evil 8 and went on walks to keep my mind off it.

• Winner Winner x 1
    8. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      It’s been on and off. Has gone away before. Thanks :)