Announcement Introducing Knowledge Base

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by Tinnitus Talk, Dec 13, 2012.

1. It's still very much a work in progress.

In short the Knowledge Base aims to gather a few important topics regarding tinnitus into one place.

Members won't be able to create new threads there (replying to the existing threads is up for consideration), as the material posted there is meant to be sort of "static", and each article will be maintained by our forum staff.

KB is a concise, special section of information where one can find answers to frequently asked questions, so to speak. Plus tips and advice.

Do you have any suggestions for articles/topics that we should cover?

And what do you think about the idea itself?

Thanks,
      Markku

2. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Its a great idea. I liked the other one too about having a section on things you can do in the very early days. That could really save someone having to suffer.

3. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Excellent idea.

At the start I wish I'd known about the different drugs that can help or worsen T - not necessarily factual stuff as we can look that up on the net - but personal experiences of the drugs and whether they lowered T & also the side effects. My GP was hopeless and you feel completely lost.

Also what we tests we might want to ask for - such as the Tympanometry test (which I didn't have) and perhaps also treatments... things like the oxygen therapy that Louise is doing.

Food and drink that spike T would have been incredibly useful.

But most of all I'd like to have been able to see a great long list of people who were off the rails at the start (like I was) and got back on them - not necessarily better but able to cope.

It really is difficult to find things in the forum - I often try to find something I remember reading and can't.

4. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Good points.

We just must get something together for what can be tried in those first weeks, days even, to stop this thing. It can be done if you jump on it. I know steroid injections can help if you do it quick (there was a recent post on that). Also the HBO (the German nbr 1 therapy in the first 3 months). And Joe I think it was made a post about something they do regularly in Japan in the first few days of someone getting T and it is very, very sucessful. I remember Joe saying it just shows what you can do if you catch it early enough. I knew I had T the next day after that band I watched and if I'd had the information then who knows where I might be today.... :(

5. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Just seen Markkus post on Shuffles thread about the Knowledge Base. Markku I think it should be restricted to staff only for the updates. Maybe also with something that a person could post a question to the staff on after they've read something.
      I've just had a look at the Base. I like it but could there be a really clearly marked thread for NEW T people to read for the most proven therapies to do quickly after the onset? Im thinking more of acoustic trauma with this. With some of the stuff you only have a window of opportunity of a matter of DAYS to get the treatment after acoustic trauma.

6. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      PS. Thanks for the masking tracks, I'll be looking into those tomorrow.

7. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I've taken the Knowledge Base off the main page for the time being.

I made the mistake of thinking KB being on the main page wide open would motivate me to write the articles and think through what should be included. Instead it caused an unusual stress reaction in me. It's just too much to bear right now, also considering that I'm not a physician specialized in tinnitus, nor am I an expert in the field. I'm just a regular joe who tries to get by, but I don't feel like I'm in the position to write detailed articles about the matter.

It's better the KB is hidden until it's ready for primetime.

Do you mean you think this forum's search function is lacking? I think it's pretty good, but I guess it requires the correct search words... One way to try would be a Google search with site:www.tinnitustalk.com included in the query, i.e: https://www.google.com/search?q=click site:www.tinnitustalk.com

Anyway, sorry folks. At least now I'm confident KB is a great idea and worth pursuing for, hopefully we get it up sooner rather than later.

8. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      While KB is hidden and slowly progressing, maybe this "Proven Therapies To Be Had Quickly After The Onset" (or such) could be its own thread in the Tinnitus / Treatments forum, and me or one of the moderators could stick it so it stays on top at all times.

9. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I understand your feelings on this Markku. Hope the stress has subsided :)

10. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I have another topic suggestion for the Knowledge Base:

How spouses, family members, and significant others can help tinnitus patients cope with their problems.

I think that all of us are helped when our friends and family members are supportive, but it is hard on them, too. I know that my severe tinnitus has taken its toll on my husband. It would be good if we could compile a list of how close relatives can help and how they can cope themselves with tinnitus patients. Being a good listener is very important, as well as being patient and understanding. Spouses and others need outlets to deal with their own frustration, too.

I'm sure others would have additional suggestions for this topic.

• Like Like x 1